Should we 'save' old buildings

Lib(e)r(ta)rian by trade here ;)

Old buildings become run down for a reason, they were built in a certain era to meet criteria of the day. But we have different criteria now and distinctly different uses. That is why I raised the issue of libraries.

My first job as graduate trainee was with a library that was built around 1850 if memory serves me well. It was beautiful and as it was built as a corn-exchange originally the, very large, main room was beautifully lit by natural light. But because it was one big space it was incredibly inflexible and the sound reverberated around so on busier days or at events the room wasn't pleasant to be in and read - no quiet corners. It was also impossible to keep the temperature and humidity right - not good when you have historic collections.

The children's library was tucked into the basement (much like Sheffield, come to think of it, the whole library was like Sheffield except the whole main floor was one open space bar the stair-house), with very poor light, even with the aid of artificial light, bad oversight for the staff leading to potential danger zones for the kids (later resolved by removing 20% of the collection) and so on.

We also couldn't alter anything without full permission of the listed building committee.

So management decided to investigate alternatives. It turned out that a brand new, purpose-build library, conditioned with appropriate rooms and so on could be build for a fee that would be earned back within 24 years based on savings to running costs of the old building alone. It was decided in the council that the historic building needed a function and the library was the most suitable function, fair enough. But it goes to show that if a company has the same decision it isn't going to think twice about going for the new build.

So what happened to the old building from 1850? Was it used for another purpose or was it demolished to make way for the new library?

If Sheffield got a new central library the old building would have to be retained because it's listed and rightly so. I did hear a rumour about the library moving out and the building used for art galleries, but how likely is that given that the Graves Gallery at the top of the building struggles to be open more than a few hours a week?

I was active on my Dutch council. I haven't had time to do so yet here, but yes, thought of it and likely to follow up on it. Expect a lot of heated debate in the Town Hall in a decade or so ;)

Conservatism in Sheffield ! dream on.

Is it a Listed Building (Grade 1, 2*, or 2) or in a Conservation Area?

These listings don't help. The faff you have to comply with must put people off trying to restore a lot of old buildings. And conservation areas? Parts of Staveley are conservation areas!

So what happened to the old building from 1850? Was it used for another purpose or was it demolished to make way for the new library?

If Sheffield got a new central library the old building would have to be retained because it's listed and rightly so. I did hear a rumour about the library moving out and the building used for art galleries, but how likely is that given that the Graves Gallery at the top of the building struggles to be open more than a few hours a week?

Sorry missed this - the library stayed in the old building due to the conservation value of keeping a service active in the (also listed) building. So the building still exists.

With regards to the Sheffield Central Library, I recommended to the councillors in charge then that it be sold and a new library would be build in a suitable place with better tram/bus access (back then as part of the Sevenstones development) but the recommendation was not followed up on (and the council changed). I think that is a shame, there was a potential suitor back then who would have done good things for the library-building in terms of preservation and Sheffield could have had a new modern library that would have been more fit for purpose in a modern day and age, that would have formed the heart of the city.

Of course these things always change, Sevenstones tanked hard and it is difficult to get plans this big going with all the different parties involved, but there is very little doubt in my mind that it was a missed opportunity for the council.

In the case of the building that I worked in in the Netherlands it was different, there was no viable potential buyer and a move would have meant the council hoping to sell one of the biggest buildings in town in terms of floorspace to someone with some idea of what to do with it.