Brexit-Impact on Eurozone.

Surely this is not self-determination. These people have been denied the right to participate in determining things for others. Can't say it makes much difference either way. You should be disappointed, they're probably europhiles who would have voted to stay in.
Aren't we forgetting they CHOSE to live in another country, under a different regime and a different set of rules. Why should they have it both ways?

Surely this is not self-determination. These people have been denied the right to participate in determining things for others. Can't say it makes much difference either way. You should be disappointed, they're probably europhiles who would have voted to stay in.
Indeed it is: they're just as British as you, the Act does not differentiate between resident and expat Brits (never mind according to a further objective or arbitrary year limit) and I daresay the determination affects them directly, so it's not just 'for others'.

Considering your fears about the supposed "loss of sovereignty" of the UK remaining in the EU (in terms directly affecting British individuals), it is you who should be disappointed: the UK judiciary just proved that it can deny British citizens entitled to self-determinate by Statute (on a straightforward reading and understanding of the EURA 2015) their statutory rights without any interference or influence from Brussels whatsoever :twisted:

Can't say either that I'm surprised to see replies from two Brexiters so readily accepting these expats as 'lesser' Brits. For shame.

I'd suggest you have a longer think about the meaning and consequences of this judgement, rather than accept or even defend the decision for the convenience of a Brexit-helping situation: Brexiter or not, this is a particularly grave attack on your fundamental individual right to self-determination as a British citizen and subject.

With enacting a 15-year limit (due to self-imposed systems limitation), the UK Gvt denied 800,000 (est.) British citizens the right to vote in that referendum. If the Gvt had decided on a 10-tear limit, how many more would have lost their right to vote?

Don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

Edited by L00b
typo: 2025>2015

I repeat: Those people CHOSE to live in another country, under a different regime and a different set of rules and laws. Are you not imposing our values on them, L00b, and removing their right to CHOOSE?

If the rule is that after 15 years you can not vote in the UK any more, than I should get automatic voting rights after 15 years in the UK, don't you agree?

I repeat: Those people CHOSE to live in another country, under a different regime and a different set of rules and laws.
I understood your point first time around.

Are you not imposing our values on them, L00b, and removing their right to CHOOSE?
I'm commenting on the factual, legal consequences on expatriate British citizens of a UK Court decision and its effective meaning to fundamental aspects of British nationality and citizenship: how is that "imposing values on them" or "removing their right to CHOOSE"?

Is it your contention that it is right that British nationals should gradually lose their entitlement to the rights and duties under that nationality, the longer they stay expatriate?

Is it your contention that the rights and duties that arise from one's British nationality should effectively have a sell-by-date?

I have to ask, because that's what your two posts very strongly suggest (besides being what that UK Court decision effectively vindicates) :|

Edited by L00b

Interesting article in The Register today about IT work, and Ireland being the only English speaking country in the EU if the UK leaves.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/29/impact_of_brexit_on_ireland/

Interesting but not entirely relevant, most IT personnel in EU countries are pretty much fluent in English because most documentation is produced in English. I interviewed programmers all over Europe and except for one German they all spoke fluent English, the German lady said she understood English fine but wasn't comfortable speaking it so we had the interview in German.

I understood your point first time around.

I'm commenting on the factual, legal consequences on expatriate British citizens of a UK Court decision and its effective meaning to fundamental aspects of British nationality and citizenship: how is that "imposing values on them" or "removing their right to CHOOSE"?

Is it your contention that it is right that British nationals should gradually lose their entitlement to the rights and duties under that nationality, the longer they stay expatriate?

Is it your contention that the rights and duties that arise from one's British nationality should effectively have a sell-by-date?

I have to ask, because that's what your two posts very strongly suggest (besides being what that UK Court decision effectively vindicates) :|

No I'm not suggesting that at all. What I am saying is that I don't see why a resident of, say, Spain, should have a say in what affects me, as a resident of the UK. In the same way, I don't expect to have a say in things that affect residents of other countries, including ex-pats. If an ex-pat returns to live in the UK he/she should then become eligible again to influence UK matters. Simple - your voice should count in the country in which you reside. If someone chooses to leave the UK for another way of life why should they still expect to be part of decisions exclusive to UK residents and their way of life?