Sheffield Tomato Dip

happyaslarry

4 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

My mother used to get a tin of tomatoes simmering gently and then poach a couple of eggs in the juice.

Sorry for going off topic a bit but the Good Ladys dad used to crack 4 eggs in the middle of a plate put a ring of tinned tomatoes round them then a ring of grated cheese round the toms . Then in the oven till eggs were done  . Don't know what it would be called but it was lovely with some crusty bread . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

That sounds reyt nice...

Thanks. It was. Mom wasn’t the best cook ever and had a limited repertoire, but sometimes the simple things are better than fancy stuff aren’t they.

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Sorry for going off topic a bit but the Good Ladys dad used to crack 4 eggs in the middle of a plate put a ring of tinned tomatoes round them then a ring of grated cheese round the toms . Then in the oven till eggs were done  . Don't know what it would be called but it was lovely with some crusty bread . 

Sounds good. As I said above, simple can be better than fancy, can’t it.

19 hours ago, hackey lad said:

That sounds lovely too...

7 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Thanks. It was. Mom wasn’t the best cook ever and had a limited repertoire, but sometimes the simple things are better than fancy stuff aren’t they.

Sounds good. As I said above, simple can be better than fancy, can’t it.

My favourite Italian dish consists of pasta, garlic, olive oil and chillies. Simple ingredients, easy to make, cheap, but absolutely delicious.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2017 at 18:28, happyaslarry said:

I'm interested in Polony being a Sheffield and Leeds thing, I hadn't realized that, or tomato dip.

I still have tomato dip on a bacon sandwich or just with a couple of slices of bread.

I've not had Polony though since I was a kid, I must hunt some down.