50,000 anti-austerity march central London.

Income tax is only 35% of HMRC revenue. NICs and VAT are 43% of HMRC revenue.

That kind of busts the whole rich paying all the tax argument apart doesn't it, and exposes the income tax argument as a disingenuous piece of political propaganda. Only the right wing media would dare peddle it.

Now, back to the original question. What is the % tax burden by income band?

Go on, do a quick google ;)

We've been through this before.

An invented, irrelevant statistic- the tax burden - it's not the issue to which I referred. The absolute amount of taxation - as in the amount the government has to spend, the actual amount, that pays for services and supports poor people, is paid for by the wealthy.

The rest was best described by Disraeli bout statistics.

With all due respect your fawning deference for the rich is mildly nauseating.

I find it equally nauseating when people come up with nonsense conclusions.

They are living, working and operating in a country with a (mostly) progressive tax system. You pay what you can and they pay what they can. It's how a progressive tax system is designed. They know the rules.

You, like most others, compare and put in same category: rich people and large tax dodging companies.

YES, the people who run these companies are rich, but it's not the same thing.

People use these sites and companies* whilst complaining about their practises.

*importantly, companies that DO NOT have a monopoly, so choice is there (though only just these days :hihi:)

You don't have anything to be grateful for. They aren't better than you. Never ever believe that they are.

I'm grateful to no one! More ad populum, and condescending comments.

I probably use fewer public services than most.

50,000 people took part in an anti-austerity march in Central London yesterday.

Not a peep about it on the mainstream News or in the papers, even though social media is full of it. The media is now so biased it's not worth watching. The only way to find out what's really going on in the world, let alone your own back yard, is on the internet.

Doesn't the mainstream media have a duty to keep us informed?

you must be blind then but wow 50k thats really going to stop it

We've been through this before.

An invented, irrelevant statistic- the tax burden - it's not the issue to which I referred. The absolute amount of taxation - as in the amount the government has to spend, the actual amount, that pays for services and supports poor people, is paid for by the wealthy.

The rest was best described by Disraeli bout statistics.

Not true though is it. The wealthy pay a greater proportion of income tax. Great! So what? It's how progressive income tax is designed to work. Big deal. 65% of HMRC revenue is from other sources anyway. Like I said that busts apart the argument.

The tax burden stat is not invented. It's reality. https://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/how-regressive-our-tax-system

That last link is what makes me sad about the likes of ash having some kind of misguided deference for the wealthy - and indeed people like you validating and reinforcing that - when they really have nothing to be grateful for.

---------- Post added 17-04-2016 at 23:45 ----------

I find it equally nauseating when people come up with nonsense conclusions.

You, like most others, compare and put in same category: rich people and large tax dodging companies.

YES, the people who run these companies are rich, but it's not the same thing.

People use these sites and companies* whilst complaining about their practises.

*importantly, companies that DO NOT have a monopoly, so choice is there (though only just these days :hihi:)

I'm grateful to no one! More ad populum, and condescending comments.

I probably use fewer public services than most.

I'm not being condescending but I do feel sorry for you to be honest. That is not intended to wind you up by the way. I just don't think you understand what you are supporting.

As for the amount of public services you use.....well if you have the crystal ball that can tell me what is going to happen tomorrow, next week or next year can I borrow it please ;)

Not true though is it. The wealthy pay a greater proportion of income tax. Great! So what? It's how progressive income tax is designed to work. Big deal. 65% of HMRC revenue is from other sources anyway. Like I said that busts apart the argument.

The tax burden stat is not invented. It's reality. https://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/how-regressive-our-tax-system

That last link is what makes me sad about the likes of ash having some kind of misguided deference for the wealthy - and indeed people like you validating and reinforcing that - when they really have nothing to be grateful for.

I'm not being condescending but I do feel sorry for you to be honest. That is not intended to wind you up by the way. I just don't think you understand what you are supporting.

As for the amount of public services you use.....well if you have the crystal ball that can tell me what is going to happen tomorrow, next week or next year can I borrow it please ;)

You are being condescending. That's how I read it.

Percentages don't pay for operations. Amounts do.

Our rates are progressive.

Tell you what. I'll give you a couple of examples when I get a minute. But you won't listen. Ans then you'll come up with another irrelevant statistic.

Then you'll claim I'm bullying you.

Pathetic.

Tell you what. I'll give you a couple of examples when I get a minute. But you won't listen. Ans then you'll come up with another irrelevant statistic.

Pathetic.

Yes I know our income tax is a progressive system. That's the point. Those with the broadest shoulders bear the greatest burden. It's supposed to work like that. It shouldn't be a surprise and nobody should feel grateful for it.

Remember that income tax is only 35% of HMRC revenue!

---------- Post added 18-04-2016 at 08:18 ----------

You are being condescending. That's how I read it.

Read it like that if you want but there's a bunch of posters on here telling the other little guys that they should be grateful and deferential to the wealthy.

Bit too Victorian for me. People should see through it and have more respect for themselves.

Edited by I1L2T3

Yes I know our income tax is a progressive system. That's the point. Those with the broadest shoulders bear the greatest burden. It's supposed to work like that. It shouldn't be a surprise and nobody should feel grateful for it.

Remember that income tax is only 35% of HMRC revenue!

---------- Post added 18-04-2016 at 08:18 ----------

Read it like that if you want but there's a bunch of posters on here telling the other little guys that they should be grateful and deferential to the wealthy.

Bit too Victorian for me. People should see through it and have more respect for themselves.

Where has anyone said that?

With all due respect your fawning deference for the rich is mildly nauseating.

They are living, working and operating in a country with a (mostly) progressive tax system. You pay what you can and they pay what they can. It's how a progressive tax system is designed. They know the rules.

You don't have anything to be grateful for. They aren't better than you. Never ever believe that they are.

whilst your at it having a go at the rich for not paying as much tax as you would like, you might as well have a go at the self employed also????? as i know for a fact every self employed person minimises their tax to the maximum and some if they are clever enough pay no tax at all whilst having a very good living, not even including cash jobs ....so how does that sit?? the working class self employed avoiding legally??

Pathetic.

I see that the reasons I stopped listening to him are still valid, and that the arguments apparently are not changing.

I wonder how interesting it would be to see what people would come up with if they had to design a tax system from scratch...