Best face cream for ladies?

pdrnsf

Simple products are very good. If your skin is sensitive, obviously avoid anything which is perfumed, coloured and chock full of added this and extra that. Your skin doesn't give a stuff if the moisturiser has 'protein peptides' (ha!), or a hint of boswellox (whatever that might be).

Even though your skin is dry, don't go for anything that is too rich either; you might find that the potential problem of absorbance could trigger added sensitivity issues.

Simple products are very good. If your skin is sensitive, obviously avoid anything which is perfumed, coloured and chock full of added this and extra that. Your skin doesn't give a stuff if the moisturiser has 'protein peptides' (ha!), or a hint of boswellox (whatever that might be).

Even though your skin is dry, don't go for anything that is too rich either; you might find that the potential problem of absorbance could trigger added sensitivity issues.

You might know the answer to this question hecate, Is it true that using moisturisers is actually counter productive as your skin assumes it has moisture when using them so adjusts the amount of natural oils it produces?

I only use moisturiser to combat occasional dryness, eg if we've been battered to death by the wind ona mountain the day before.

I maintain that your body has it's own balance, and trying to interfere with that only results in it fighting back.

Adjust your diet, and get some excercise, and see how much better your face looks ;)

I have to say the only way I can combat my dry skin and over using moisturisers is to use an oil based wash like the burt's bees citrus face wash. If I use water alone my skin itches from the amount of chlorine in it (I assume) and is still dry.

I haven't heard of this, actually, so I can only speculate theoretically. The oils produced by your skin are produced continually. As far as I'm aware, there is no fluctuation in their production induced by the application of moisturisers. I could be wrong, though, as I've never looked into it.

If you use a moisturiser which is too thick, rich or just use too much of it, it would probably feel like the skin is producing too much sebum, due to the absorbance problems associated with the moisturiser.

What can happen, is that the use of harsh soaps or face washes will strip the protective surface layer of oils pretty quickly (just like washing up liquid degreasing dirty dishes!). This is why your skin can feel dry and tight if you've used something a bit too strong to wash your face with. However, the tightness, as unpleasant as it is, will disappear once the sebum starts to be secreted onto the skin surface again. It's best to use a moisturiser though, while waiting for it to kick in.

So, in answer to your question, I guess this is just a very long way of saying I'm not sure, but I don't think so :) .

You might know the answer to this question hecate, Is it true that using moisturisers is actually counter productive as your skin assumes it has moisture when using them so adjusts the amount of natural oils it produces?

...If I use water alone my skin itches from the amount of chlorine in it (I assume) and is still dry.

I don't know about the chlorine, but I would have thought if you're actually washing your face in water (as opposed to using cleansers etc), you need some sort of additional product (soap, face wash, whatever), in order to remove the dirt, grease and general accumulated grime. Water alone wouldn't do that.

I have to say the only way I can combat my dry skin and over using moisturisers is to use an oil based wash like the burt's bees citrus face wash. If I use water alone my skin itches from the amount of chlorine in it (I assume) and is still dry.

The PH value of your skin and the PH value of water are not the same, so that could be part of the reason. That's why johnson's do PH5.5 facewash. I think water is about 7?

I don't know about the chlorine, but I would have thought if you're actually washing your face in water (as opposed to using cleansers etc), you need some sort of additional product (soap, face wash, whatever), in order to remove the dirt, grease and general accumulated grime. Water alone wouldn't do that.

I can't use soaps on my face as I end up blotchy with a slight burning sensation, no matter how gentle the soap, only the oil based burt's bees wash I have found seems to suit better than anything else I have tried. So before that I would use some kind of gentle soap very rarely and usually a face cloth and water most of the time. I was clean honest :(

Boswellox (baaaaad name!) is made with extract of boswellia, which, as far as I can remember without checking, is the latin name for frankincense.

So mhyrr.

I thought it was just something thought up by the marketing department, because the name sounded so similar to what most clinical and academic dermatologists think of it ;) .

Archived