Commuting distance

Triggered by a few comments on another thread...

How far is your commute? Would you do anything to reduce it?

L00b said "I work to live, not live to work" when I (jokingly) suggested moving closer to work.

I entirely agree with the sentiment.

As I change companies a lot due to being self employed, I try reasonably hard to only take work in Sheffield, or 2nd choice, Leeds with some remote working.

The difference is staggering.

Sheffield - 20 min cycle each way and I get 40 mins of exercise a day for "free".

Leeds - minimum of 1hr each way in the car, no exercise included.

That's 80 minutes a day worse off (ignoring the exercise aspect). Over just 1 year, that's an additional 40 DAYS (working days, 7.5 hrs) spent commuting if I work in Leeds. And the loss of 20 DAYS of solid exercise.

40 working days is more annual leave than I give myself in a year! Even including bank holidays. More time spent commuting than spent on holiday!

There are studies that link perceived quality of life and happiness directly with commuting distance. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Cyclone...never mind the commute, just imagine how much more time you would have if you didn't spend so much of it on the forum :-)

My commute is 20 minutes each way, by bike, plus a 20 minute walk in the morning for school drop off. It's a great start to the day, and over that short distance it is 50% quicker than driving.

Edited by stifflersmom

I walk to work come rain or shine, 30mins there and back again. It wakes me up in the morning and refreshes me after being in the office all day.

Sometimes i take the car if i have a social gathering after work or if i need to take my impatient daughter somewhere, god forbid she should wait 30mins for me to arrive home!!!!

I'd love to cycle but i'm not confident and the route would either take me up lots of hills or main roads..

120 miles (roughly) to get to the office, which is why I choose (thankfully I am allowed) to work at home whenever I can. Should I get a permanent appointment I would be looking at commuting 30K miles a year, not something I am keen on so we would move to a place beween the two, possibly moving somewhere like Barlborough as that would already cut about 20 minutes of each leg.

Work from home an awful lot. Storage is 14 minutes away (timed it). For 6 months of the year that's all very manageable. For the other 6 months it's to and from London, Home Counties and the south coast. I share the driving and most of time it's ok but sometimes, particularly if traffic is bad, I absolutely can't stand it.