Commuting distance

Alcoblog in his Alcocopter would pick up the heat from your home with his thermal heat detector, then lock on with his Cannabis bunker busting Penguins. Game up.

I'd be fine. Anything in the sky from helicopters to the sun gets rocks thrown at in t'marsh. The locals would bring in it down in minutes.

Different commutes at different times of my life:

Broomhill to town - cycled, about 3 miles each way.

Broomhill (and later, Nether Green) to Barnsley, about 12 miles each way, approx 40 minutes drive each way.

Nether Green to Leeds. About 35 miles each way. As good as 1 hour to Leeds, travelling before rush hour, but regularly anything between 90 mins and 2 hours plus on the return home. I did this for 18 months and hated it with a vengeance.

Broomhill to Hull for about 6 months (this was over 30 years ago). I can't remember distance or time, but it was a surprisingly easy and relaxing drive, unlike,

Broomhill to Lincoln, for around 1 year (also over 30 years ago). I hated this, so soon changed to staying in digs for 3 nights a week (with a trip home midweek).

When I work from home it takes half a minute (and I don’t even need to get dressed).

I love the fact that e-mails/old fashioned phones exist and not all work-meetings are via Skype/Webex. The number of times I make a call or reply to someone just wearing boxers because I just got out of bed (first thing I tend to do is make coffee, then check e-mails) is astounding.

I love it mainly because me in boxers isn't a brilliant sight any longer...

The amount of variation is huge, I'm quite surprised.

The only constant times in my commute is the walk to and from the tram stop. The variations kick in with trams not arriving on time (especially in the evenings from town) and hold ups on the route.

I've cycled to and from town enough to know that it's a busy route and a hard slog; any route involves going up hills then down in either direction in rush hour traffic and whilst the tram takes a while I get to work still smelling fresh and relatively stress free and in one piece.

I can drive if I wanted to - I get free city centre parking - and when I'm stood waiting 15 minutes for a tram in the winter at the station I often wonder why I don't..

Used to be half an hour, or more depending on traffic, up to and a little over an hour. The longest commute I've had in my life so far and I did not like it at all. I hate leaving work and not actually being home for over an hour.

Recently started cycling and now its 15 minutes or so each way it's so much better.

Edited by flamingjimmy

I traveled to Newcastle 125 miles twice a week for over two years until circumstances changed. That meant I only had to travel 102 miles to Telford twice a week. Did that for 8 years and decided enough was enough and opted to retire.

Car 20 minutes

Cycle 40 minutes

Bus 1 hour 20 minutes

All from door to door.

In real terms though, driving isn't quicker. I have to set off at 7.00 to miss the traffic because I can't avoid Penistone Road. My alternative route has the kind of speed bumps that the car really doesn't like :(

Cycling works out as faster, because I can set off as late as 7.45 to get to work on time for 8.30.

Buses are a pain, I have to catch 2 to get home, I can get home in an hour if I'm lucky.

In the past I've commuted to Frankfurt on Monday morning via Manchester airport, that was for 6 months. And I worked in London for 9 months, down on Monday, back on Thursday.

I've also had contracts where I mostly work from home, the previous one to now was like that. Roll out of bed at 0800, check emails, go and start breakfast.

I prefer the city centre though, close enough to be easy, people to talk to in the office though.