The Final Nail in the Coffin

I have never said they come for the benefits, which is absurd. Most are very hard working. They come with the best of intentions, but that is how some of them are inevitably going to end up. Then there are the wives and children, not on benefits but nevertheless adding to the strain on the NHS, housing, schools and services.

Can these overstretched services really accommodate another 3 million? And then more? Nobody seems willing to address this.

Obviously the working husbands of the wives and children that you perceive to be adding to the strain on the country, are paying their taxes towards the running of the country.

I have never said they come for the benefits, which is absurd. Most are very hard working. They come with the best of intentions, but that is how some of them are inevitably going to end up. Then there are the wives and children, not on benefits but nevertheless adding to the strain on the NHS, housing, schools and services.

Can these overstretched services really accommodate another 3 million? And then more? Nobody seems willing to address this.

Anna, read post 49 in this thread. Your post. In which you clearly use the phrase - Many more.

Also, read your own post here. 'Then there are the wives and children' - is it 1950? Are women not allowed to work? Should men be forced to come alone?

Immigrants are not some sort of inane objects that just come to take jobs, they are human beings who have lives and have made a decision to try and make something better of their live by trekking all the way from one country to another in the hope opportunities here are better. It would grace you if you acknowledged that.

Obviously the working husbands of the wives and children that you perceive to be adding to the strain on the country, are paying their taxes towards the running of the country.

They are but they (and this isn't aimed at immigrants really) aren't paying enough. Those of us who can trace our ancestors to before Norman times aren't paying enough. Roads and hospitals and schools are over subscribed because there are too many of us. Where we come from doesn't matter.

They are but they (and this isn't aimed at immigrants really) aren't paying enough. Those of us who can trace our ancestors to before Norman times aren't paying enough. Roads and hospitals and schools are over subscribed because there are too many of us. Where we come from doesn't matter.

My point is, we should hold the same standards towards all the people living in here. I don't think that many people would have to much of an issue towards a family where only one of the parents work, but when it's an immigrant family they are all of a sudden putting a strain upon this country's services.

I'd just like a bit of consistency.

But are they paying enough to cover all the additional costs associated with them living here?

But are they paying enough to cover all the additional costs associated with them living here?

Do many other families pay enough additional costs associated with them starting a family? As long as the people coming here are paying what is asked, I don't see what the problem is.

Do many other families pay enough additional costs associated with them starting a family? As long as the people coming here are paying what is asked, I don't see what the problem is.

No, very few pay enough to cover the cost involved in providing everything the state provides for them.

If the state can't provide enough for the people born here its not sensible to invite more people here to share those meagre resources, because it just lowers standards of education, NHS, and everything else the state provides.

No, very few pay enough to cover the cost involved in providing everything the state provides for them.

If the state can't provide enough for the people born here its not sensible to invite more people here to share those meagre resources, because it just lowers standards of education, NHS, and everything else the state provides.

What if the state can at least afford what it does offer because the economy is stronger due to immigrants?

This black/white debate is tiresome and has been done to death.

Meagre resources? Our economy is, by GDP, the fifth biggest in the world.

What if the state can at least afford what it does offer because the economy is stronger due to immigrants?

This black/white debate is tiresome and has been done to death.

Obviously if high levels of immigration made life better for everyone fewer people would be complaining about immigration. The bottom line is that most immigrants don't contribute enough to the economy to pay for the increased cost of them living here, this means the people already here get less than they would get if the immigrants weren't here. The way to solve this problem is an immigration system that is selective, one that brings in the people the country needs and rejects those that we don't need, but I would also make sure that we were not taking people from countries that have a greater need than we have. I wouldn't want foreign doctors if it leaves their own country short of doctors, in this situation we should invest in training our own doctors.

---------- Post added 25-04-2016 at 13:35 ----------

Meagre resources? Our economy is, by GDP, the fifth biggest in the world.

GDP isn't a very good measure of how well a country is doing, if we doubled our population tomorrow our GDP would increase and we would rise up that scale, that wouldn't make everyone better off though. In fact it is possible to increase a countries GDP whilst making the majority in that country poorer.

We also have less than 1% of the worlds population yet we pay out 7% of the worlds welfare payments, I would put money on the fact that you complain when benefits are cut.