Would you forgive your cheating partner?

An alternative way to see it is...

If you split up with someone because they have an affair then you didn't really love them in the first place. If you really love someone then there is no obstacle that is insurmountable (except death).

what is the deceiver does not want to return to their other half, or only return when they have been kicked out by the new lover - do you forgive?? I thought not!!!

If you split up with someone because they have an affair then you didn't really love them in the first place. If you really love someone then there is no obstacle that is insurmountable (except death).

Only if you see love as an all encompassing control thing, leaving you little or no self respect. You can love and still hold something in higher regard.

Poppycock! - I know because it happened to me.

We tried to make a go of it (or rather, I did), but it didn't work.

Only if you see love as an all encompassing control thing, leaving you little or no self respect. You can love and still hold something in higher regard.

I don't see how the other person having an affair should effect your self respect, theirs perhaps but not yours, you've done nothing wrong.

Why?

I don't see how the other person having an affair should effect your self respect, theirs perhaps but not yours, you've done nothing wrong.

You would certainly lose self respect if you held love in a higher regard than yourself, especially if it was to the detriment of yourself. Or do you see love as the ultimate sacrifice? Sentiment? Emotion? Do you think love rules over rationality? to be able to think.."I love this person but I don't like this person so therefore I'll make a conscious decision to let this person go".

As for no obstacle insurmountable I would tend to agree, the other party would have to love you also in a reciprocal manner. That being so it seems highly unlikely the op's scenario in the first place would have arisen.