The Botanist - Coming soon

jamesogt

Agree , we need new places that are a bit `different`. Look forward to seeing it.

I think it's a good thing places like this are (finally) coming to Sheffield. It shows we are finally moving forward (or the chain has exhausted every other town that is ahead of us).

However, as a beer drinker, Jemmo, you won't be going in often. The Leeds branch started by offering 4 relatively decent beers, which never changed (Beartown Peach MelBear being the highlight). But it rapidly dwindled when it became obvious more people went in for cocktails. When I went to the Manchester branch last year they had one beer on, it was poor, and rather expensive.

On the food side I did witness a dish served in a miniature wheelbarrow, with a pot plant on the side that you apparently trimmed yourself in order to get your greens. Amongst the hipster communities in Manchester and Leeds I can see people wetting themselves over this. In Sheffield, not so much.

If they can't identify the correct item on which to serve food, then I don't trust them to cook my food.

Anyone serving food on slates, trowels, chopping boards, miniature shopping trolleys, bonsai trees, etc can get in the sea

maybe I should start selling my beers in a sieve...

And here I was thinking it was the conditioning of your beers that gave them that interesting appearance.

I think it's a good thing places like this are (finally) coming to Sheffield. It shows we are finally moving forward (or the chain has exhausted every other town that is ahead of us).

However, as a beer drinker, Jemmo, you won't be going in often. The Leeds branch started by offering 4 relatively decent beers, which never changed (Beartown Peach MelBear being the highlight). But it rapidly dwindled when it became obvious more people went in for cocktails. When I went to the Manchester branch last year they had one beer on, it was poor, and rather expensive.

On the food side I did witness a dish served in a miniature wheelbarrow, with a pot plant on the side that you apparently trimmed yourself in order to get your greens. Amongst the hipster communities in Manchester and Leeds I can see people wetting themselves over this. In Sheffield, not so much.

Yeah, I don`t expect it`ll be my sort of thing at all but, as you say, good to see them arrive in Sheffield.

This will be because Sheffielders can see how ridiculous and non-upmarket serving things in trowels and watering cans really is.

Bang on. Let's be clear here - The Botanist chain is not 'up-market'. It serves no better food and drink range than you can get in dozens of other places around Sheffield. It just does so in a fancy way that seems to attract girls. And we all know that if you attract girls, the lads will follow. Just look at places like the Old House where, if you want to get a beer on an early evening, best be prepared to wait for a dozen cocktails to be made first.

Don't get me wrong, it's a formula that clearly works. But calling it 'up-market' is quite deluded. Sheffield people are generally more cynical than those in our more 'cosmopolitan' neighbours and see through this, that's all. I suspect it will be busy on opening, like the new Head of Steam. A couple of months later, not so much.

Edited by DnAuK