Why is it so hard to get a tradesman?

28 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

sorry if they cant accept some teasing  or p taking then they wont last long anywhere i suppose thats why they are called snowflakes? no good to me or my business.

I begin to see the potential problem with your staff retention.

Is teasing and p taking as you call it it an essential part of their practical skills required to do the job? Is it formally set out in their job description that they must have a self depreciating sense of humour and must be prepared to take jokes from their boss? Is your apprenticeship containing formal training and guidance as to how they handle such so called banter?

Do you understand the points being made. The relationship between employee and employer is very different these days. The expectations are very different. The responsibilities are very different.

43 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Is teasing and p taking as you call it it an essential part of their practical skills required to do the job? Is it formally set out in their job description that they must have a self depreciating sense of humour and must be prepared to take jokes from their boss? Is your apprenticeship containing formal training and guidance as to how they handle such so called banter?

Do you understand the points being made. The relationship between employee and employer is very different these days. The expectations are very different. The responsibilities are very different.

Hmmm... :huh:

I understand the points being made...

... but I fully agree with Mr ab.

While 'banter' is perhaps not the correct word to use in this situation (much because it's been overused nowadays to mean a mild form of bullying), I can understand it's use to relate to a young persons job requirements in the building trade.

I accept that there's a fine line between 'bullying' and 'having a laugh' - and that's the problem.

There's nothing better than enjoying your work and the company of the people you work with.

To do that you need to feel relaxed around your teammates, and not have to worry about the possibility of offending someone every time you open your mouth, or make an unfunny joke!

The ability to 'laugh at yourself' while still being able to produce work to the standards required is probably the most important requirement an employer could look for.

To be able to 'give as good as you get' and not immediately take offence is a dying trait these days, but is essential in encouraging the sort of camaraderie that good team workers need. :|

55 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Can they do it back?

oh yes and they do all the time! its also between themselves its what makes for a happy work environment, we all give as much as we get, there is no nastiness.

33 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

I understand the points being made...

... but I fully agree with Mr ab.

While 'banter' is perhaps not the correct word to use in this situation (much because it's been overused nowadays to mean a mild form of bullying), I can understand it's use to relate to a young persons job requirements in the building trade.

I accept that there's a fine line between 'bullying' and 'having a laugh' - and that's the problem.

There's nothing better than enjoying your work and the company of the people you work with.

To do that you need to feel relaxed around your teammates, and not have to worry about the possibility of offending someone every time you open your mouth, or make an unfunny joke!

The ability to 'laugh at yourself' while still being able to produce work to the standards required is probably the most important requirement an employer could look for.

To be able to 'give as good as you get' and not immediately take offence is a dying trait these days, but is essential in encouraging the sort of camaraderie that good team workers need. :|

perfect reply thank you.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

i dont have a problem with staff retention in fact most have been with us for many years, its the new young ones that are the problem  soits got to the stage where i dont bother with applications of under 25s complete waste of time, which is a shame as i might miss that little gold nugget but i just dont have the time or patience anymore.

no p taking is not a pre requisite but it does make the day go faster

7 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Why are so many buildings built in 60s and 70s knocked down now? Why were British cars so awful in the same period if all these British time served tradesmen were so awesome?

So you would recommend the modern way of cladding every thing in tin and aluminium , A system that has lead people losing their lives World wide .

Millions of houses built in the 60's are still standing and are spiralling in price increases by the week , around my own district bungalows and semis built by spec builders who paid the work force pea nuts are spiralling out of control in price , A bungalow near me that was originally £5,500 with centre heating and a garage sold last week for £285,000 .

As a bricklayer working at that time  we got £5 per thousand bricks laid in the footings , £50 up to first floor then £60 for second . that  was about  £150 for three men to build a pair of semi's . 

Don't talk to me about why these places that now fetch so much money were  thrown up I know exactly why .

And while I am at do not forget if it was raining we got rained off , no pay , if it was frost laid off no pay so look at things as they were for the men who struggled to make a wage some times ending up with now't .

Agree with ab6262, Mr Bloke and Cuttsie. Construction is a tough business and the best way to get through the day is to have a laugh. Brickies and joiners will rip the p out of each other, everyone knows that sparkies use £50 notes for bog roll and that plasterers are a bit mad. But on a decent site all will chip in if there’s a big daft RSJ or set of patio doors to lift in. Good labourers are hard to come by and are virtually a trade themselves. In my experience one of the biggest things holding them back is usually the lack of a driving licence.

10 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Agree with ab6262, Mr Bloke and Cuttsie. Construction is a tough business and the best way to get through the day is to have a laugh. Brickies and joiners will rip the p out of each other, everyone knows that sparkies use £50 notes for bog roll and that plasterers are a bit mad. But on a decent site all will chip in if there’s a big daft RSJ or set of patio doors to lift in. Good labourers are hard to come by and are virtually a trade themselves. In my experience one of the biggest things holding them back is usually the lack of a driving licence.

another perfect answer, spot on there Jim117👍

On 07/10/2021 at 08:37, cuttsie said:

The big build on TV always makes me roor, those lads and lasses turn up free of charge to help a family out who are down on their luck , It makes you proud of the building trade .

Must be where my plumber has gone today then...he hasn't turned up yet to lay my new water pipe...

Am waiting for the manager to "phone me back".

I am happy to not mess anyone around, pay what is quoted and not haggle them down a few quid...but am having loads of issues getting people for the jobs I have lined up.

I don't even mind waiting months...just seems like nobody gets back to you, or you accept a quote and then communication goes dead.

I would never get away with ignoring a customer like that...

A simple text or email saying you are not interested in the job is sufficient...but I don't even get that...just silence.

Edited by crazyhorse

On 07/10/2021 at 08:37, cuttsie said:

The big build on TV always makes me roor, those lads and lasses turn up free of charge to help a family out who are down on their luck , It makes you proud of the building trade .

Those sorts of people are all around us, its just that the Government, Councils and charities do everything, the Conservative philosophy seems to be to look after number one.