Why is it so hard to get a tradesman?

Why is it when people put jobs in here wanting work doing or they wanting someone to work for them never get back to you Sheffield forum are for people after Cowboys not proffesionals, proper builders are fighting against Cowboys on here all the time bloody joke

It works both ways. Builders are incredibly unreliable about giving estimates and then don't turn up or call you back after you accept their estimate. There's good builders around, but try finding them.

Now I'm getting to the age where I am finding it increasingly difficult to do things I once would have had no bother at all, I have decided to seek help from the professional tradesmen community. I have two such jobs wanting to be done, and wondered if anyone else is finding the same problem that I am? I make contact with a tradesman, wanting a quote, and I am finding the apathy shown amazing. In a time when I would think tradesmen would be silly to turn work down, the number of them that have failed to return a quote, amazes me. Then when I chase them up, my calls, if not blocked, often lead to almost abusive responses, and the promise to get back to me, with no time limit it seems! The jobs I have are not insignificant, I would expect a quote well into 4 figures for both jobs, payment would be in old fashioned cash, and each job I would think not that taxing. It is the first time in a long while that I have turned to outside help, and it might just be me, but it staggered me the trouble I have experienced.

The credit crunch caused many of the building trade to quit the trade. There is now a labour shortage but no shortage of work. There is an abundance of work.

I always ring back but if I can by email or text. Some people can be so persausive! But for oitdoor workers. Well no one wants us in winter, nevar has and never will. But the smart get quotes in winter when work is short. These quotes then fill Spring and summer.

As for trying to get an outdoor job done in summer and ring up in summer then you have no chance.

Like I have said before. Quotes are expected to be supplied for free and at the builders expense and in his own personal free time. If the builder has suffiencent work then why bother? There are plenty of people who have no problem consuming builders private personal time. But if ther is no reward then what does the builder get out of it?

Blame the time wasters.

I have rang three plumbers numbers in the past two weeks but no one has returned the call.

I accept they are busy people but just one call to say they are available in the near future or that they are too busy would help then I wouldn't have to sit at home waiting for a call back, I can move on to the next one on my list.

I have a good job for an experienced plumber/electrician but if they don'want to put me on their waiting list I may as well spend my money on a holiday, maybe in Poland. . . . I might find myself a plumber.

why seat at home and wait , mobile phone has been invented for a while now

Edited by Michaeldyn

Tradesmen do not answer their mobiles while driving around either, as this means a fine, points and a possible ban.
.........that confirms my suspicions then that most are not real tradesmen, as most times I see a building type motor on the road, the driver is usually on the phone!

I have rang three plumbers numbers in the past two weeks but no one has returned the call.

I accept they are busy people but just one call to say they are available in the near future or that they are too busy would help then I wouldn't have to sit at home waiting for a call back, I can move on to the next one on my list.

I have a good job for an experienced plumber/electrician but if they don'want to put me on their waiting list I may as well spend my money on a holiday, maybe in Poland. . . . I might find myself a plumber.

It's not just the plumbing trade that don't return calls, I'm in the decorating trade and I get a lot of potential customer's telling me the same thing either tradesmen don't return calls or never turn up when they say they are. Every missed call or text or answer machine message I get I always call them back just to let them know that there is someone at the other end of the phone.

Other than the latest recommend a business and tradesman thread on the forum, here are two useful links to help people dating back to 2005.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77767&highlight=recommend+a+business

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=548135&highlight=recommend+a+business

Edited by mmitchell
Added recommend a business and tradesman links.