Voluntary work..I do..Do you?

2006 last topic on this, but times change.

So, do you offer your services for free?

I have for the last 5 years, (even got an award at a posh do at the city hall. I hob nobbed with the big cheeses.:D)

Every Tuesday after work i and other managers open up a social club at a church. It's for people with learning disabilities and folk with mental health problems. We put on a DJ, Bingo, party nights for birthdays,Xmas, Halloween and so on. It's become very popular over the years, and people from other support providers as well as our own have a great time. We have pool tables, art n craft and other table games. So many cuts in services has left the most vulnerable people with very few places to go in the week. We provide a great safe environment for all to enjoy.

Anyhow, what do you get up to?

Well done to you and respect for your efforts.

I am a carer for one of my sons, it can be more than a job and less than a job (not sure but I last read that a carer receives less money than someone who receives unemployment benefit) so that is how this government and previous governments value us even though we save them thousands.

Nice one GW. I kick in a couple of quid to the usual suspects on DD. I've also decided rather than flog something on eBay it will go to the local hospice - we got a van load together the other month, and some lucky person will end up with some nearly new, hardly worn doc martens amongst other bits and bobs. Our company is often a target (not the right word but it will have to do) for "charities" who want our goods for free. Some are bona fide others after a bit of questioning are a few people getting together for a night out and will chuck a few quid in a bucket at the end of the night. Some get snotty when we don't give our stuff away to charities for free - if we did I'd be posting this from a cardboard box but they can't understand why.

I'd like to do more as I get older, my old man God rest his soul did loads for the rspb.

I was very active in the Netherlands in voluntary work, here it is a lot less because I have been concentrating on building up my career. That said, most of the things I learned about real life were as a volunteer. I was active in the local wing of my political party as well as what I suppose could be seen as the equivalent of the parish councils here (although non religious), I started in libraries by volunteering as a student, I have done plenty of charity events etc.

If I gain some time/focus I hope to get active again, but I need job security first.

I've been a volunteer for different organisations. I was a Samaritan for a while, i was on a local housing board, I'm a trustee of an older people's organisation, and I volunteer in a charity shop. Oh, and I was a moderator and admin on here for a number of years.

One day a week I pick up my youngest grandchild from school, then babysit if needed. I was away at the weekend looking after my older grandchildren.

I am admin on a forum! I also do as much sharing of information as I can for a whole load of charities and when my body is up to it, I crochet for a lovely little charity called Cherished Gowns for Angel Babies.

Back when I was a bit more able bodied I also fostered kittens, was a regional coordinator for two dog rescues, a home checker for several more and a volunteer dog walker for another. I also looked after my niece and nephew to enable my sister to work, until they reached school age.

I was also a Samaritan, taught on a voluntary basis for SAVTE, The Women's Health Project, the WEA and at two of the council's day care centres and was involved with The Homeless Christmas Shoe Box Appeal (all since moving to Sheffield).

In my pre-Sheffield days I volunteered with the voluntary help centre in the village I grew up in (my mum has been secretary for the last 35 years) so that included everything from answering the phone and serving people at lunch club to gardening, babysitting and driving people to hospital appointments.

Good will makes the world go round :)

More people should be open about what they do, and it should become the norm for youngsters to grow up seeing that helping others is important.

I'd like to volunteer - probably something nature related to be a complete contrast from my job. Trouble is, I work around 50 hours a week, irregular hours, and also study for another 10 - 20 hours a week.

So no chance of that happening at the moment. But I will in the future when I'm on the wind down.

I volunteer with an organisation called Action for Stannington which is an environmental group that attempts to keep Stannington and its immediate neighbourhood clear of litter and generally looking clean.

We look after the park and flower troughs dotted around as well as doing regular litter picks - feel free to contact me if you'd like to help.

I'm also a volunteer with the Labour Party, I try and keep the electorate informed of what's happening locally, organise members' meetings and try and cajole people into donating raffle prizes as we have very little income otherwise.

I've volunteered for dog rescue sites and shelters for years, been on committees etc and fundraised.

I started out as secretary for my daughters PTA,which we actually formed,and is still running and raised a considerable sum for the school.

For the past 5 years i've single handedly resurrected a failing badminton club to become a successful and very popular local club,which in itself provides support and health benefits to anyone and everyone,our latest incentive is aimed at teens and females taking up sport.