Naz Shah suspended from Parliament for anti Jewish rants.

the Tim Marshall article loses a very great deal of credibility indeed when it 'quotes' Martin Luther King as having supposedly said 'When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews. You are talking anti-Semitism’.

while I tend to agree with this at least some if not most of the time, the fact is that Martin Luther King never said any such thing : see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_to_an_Anti-Zionist_Friend

more usually, it is the anti-Israeli or anti-Zionist crowd that invents quotes, or takes them out of context. The CAMERA Committee For Accurate Middle East Reporting website lists dozens of them. But this false Martin Luther King quote was one of those rarer times when it is the pro-Israel crowd that was guilty.

I think you are mixing up a letter falsely attributed to Martin Luther King with an actual statement made by him, and which Tim Marshall refers to. See the link that Marshall provides in his article, or indeed, the Wikipedia link that you do.

She should not have been suspended. Israel is a VILE little place that causes untold hurt and distress in that region. Ship em off and let someone else populate that land. I hope she doesn't get the sack for this.

of course thats not anti-sematic either is it?

or narrow minded, or ill informed, or moronic.

What if the tables were turned, and it was a prominent Jewish figure calling for all the Muslims to be rounded up and shipped off overseas????

fun fact : If Israel was a US state, it would be #48 in area. It's just slightly smaller than New Jersey. But 33% bigger than the next smallest, Connecticut.

It would probably also be one of the wealthiest states in America, now if Israel was a Muslim country it would be one of the poorest in the world and Muslims would be running away from it leaving it vacant for the Jews to move back in. :)

I think you are mixing up a letter falsely attributed to Martin Luther King with an actual statement made by him, and which Tim Marshall refers to. See the link that Marshall provides in his article, or indeed, the Wikipedia link that you do.

no there is no evidence MLK ever said those exact words and he certainly didn't write them in any letter like he was said to have done with the mythical 'Letter to an anti-Zionist friend'. That the quote never appeared until thirty years after King died and wasn't reported anywhere until then, by anyone, is the dead giveaway.

the youtube link Marshall provides just gives a favourable quote King says about Israel - and there is no doubt that King DID support Israel - and then, runs a caption at the bottom of the screen, not of King talking, but that he supposedly said "When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews. You are talking anti-Semitism".

King definitely supported Israel. But there is no evidence that he ever said any such thing.

no there is no evidence MLK ever said those exact words and he certainly didn't write them in any letter like he was said to have done with the mythical 'Letter to an anti-Zionist friend'. That the quote never appeared until thirty years after King died and wasn't reported anywhere until then, by anyone, is the dead giveaway.

the youtube link Marshall provides just gives a favourable quote King says about Israel - and there is no doubt that King DID support Israel - and then, runs a caption at the bottom of the screen, not of King talking, but that he supposedly said "When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews. You are talking anti-Semitism".

King definitely supported Israel. But there is no evidence that he ever said any such thing.

From the link you provided:

The letter may have been based on a statement attributed to King at a dinner event in Cambridge, Massachusetts.[2] According to Seymour Martin Lipset, an African American student made a statement sharply critical of Zionists at a dinner that Lipset recalled as having taken place in 1968, and King replied: "Don't talk like that. When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews. You're talking anti-Semitism."[3]

That's evidence right there. It might not be evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt, or for you, but I've not heard it challenged up until today.

it definitely sounds very ropey indeed, to me. For a start, it's hearsay, and ancient hearsay at that. Why did it take 30 years for it to come out. And why was it instantly seized upon by prominent partisan figures, including Sharon. It also seems rather anachronistic too. We are all familiar with the term 'anti-Zionist' now, but I don't think people were anywhere near as familiar with the term fifty years ago. It's just dodgy.

It would probably also be one of the wealthiest states in America.

actually that is another antisemite myth. Jews and Israelis, are rich.

Israel is quite a rich country in global terms, but it definitely isn't all that rich a country. It isn't even the richest country in the Middle East. Several Gulf countries are richer. Right now, Israel's nominal GDP per capita is around $36,000 - which makes it poorer than every single one of the 50 states of the USA except Mississipi, you know the state of the USA where some of Martin Luther King's followers got into a great deal of trouble, and that comes bottom of just about every list, except lynching.

if Israel were in Europe, it would be behind Denmark, Iceland, Ireland, Sweden, UK, Austria, Netherlands, Finland, Germany, Belgium and France.

It's a bit of a stretch to call for Ken's head over it, although he didn't do himself any favours:

He warned against "confusing criticism of the Israeli government policy with anti-Semitism".

If you read the original Facebook post it's got nothing to do with criticising the Israeli government policy.

it definitely sounds very ropey indeed, to me. For a start, it's hearsay, and ancient hearsay at that. Why did it take 30 years for it to come out.

What the hell are you talking about? 30 years to come out?

I've known about this statement for years and years. Follow the reference in the link you provide, and you will see it attributed to Seymour Martin Lipset in 1969, shortly after the statement was made. The family of MLK are quite protective of his memory, and have not disputed the statement.

The recent letter is clearly a hoax, but is irrelevent.

The first I have heard about the statement being false is from you, today. Why amongst the plethora of historical statements attributed to people that weren't video taped or recorded are you disputing this one?