Wheel alignment

I've just read a reply by 'Honest John' about tyres not wearing evenly, he says to have it checked out at a proper 'pitted' alignment center by Hunter's... I looked it up and noticed only one place in Sheffield that does that (Prestige Cars?) which made me wonder - is the alignment you get done at a place like Kwikfit (I used to get it done at Pro Tyres at Laws' Brothers Penistone Road/Leppings Lane) not sufficient? It was all laser-guided etc, far better I reckoned than what I used to get done in the Netherlands a decade ago?

The reason I ask is because our model car has a well known issue with uneven tyre-wear and I now wonder if the dealer is actually applying the 'correct' method to test things?

I've just read a reply by 'Honest John' about tyres not wearing evenly, he says to have it checked out at a proper 'pitted' alignment center by Hunter's... I looked it up and noticed only one place in Sheffield that does that (Prestige Cars?) which made me wonder - is the alignment you get done at a place like Kwikfit (I used to get it done at Pro Tyres at Laws' Brothers Penistone Road/Leppings Lane) not sufficient? It was all laser-guided etc, far better I reckoned than what I used to get done in the Netherlands a decade ago?

The reason I ask is because our model car has a well known issue with uneven tyre-wear and I now wonder if the dealer is actually applying the 'correct' method to test things?

My mates place Auto dynamics down Attercliffe has the Hunter Hawkeye wheel alignment system as used by Porsche, Aston Martin, & Mercedes among others.

It is a very good piece of kit= http://www.hunter.com/alignment-systems/hawkeye-elite

My mates place Auto dynamics down Attercliffe has the Hunter Hawkeye wheel alignment system as used by Porsche, Aston Martin, & Mercedes among others.

It is a very good piece of kit= http://www.hunter.com/alignment-systems/hawkeye-elite

Thanks Mafya,

I thought that was what it was, they had the same kit at Tyre Pros before they closed down.

There's quite a few places that have the Hunter system. There's nothing wrong with conventional 4 wheel laser alignment but the Hunter system leaves less room for operator error.

---------- Post added 28-04-2016 at 12:43 ----------

Roddisons also have a 4-wheel system, they can do corner weighting as well.

http://www.mx5-racing.co.uk/four-wheel-alignment/

It's worth remembering that most run of the mill cars don't actually have much in the way of adjustment, so if your alignment is not correct it could be down to a worn bush or bent suspension arm.

Or an adjustable track rod, which just about all cars have, may simply need adjusting.

Roddisons also have a 4-wheel system, they can do corner weighting as well.

http://www.mx5-racing.co.uk/four-wheel-alignment/

Seconding Rodders, as I had them do their 'magic' alignment (it's legendary amongst UK MX5 enthusiasts) on our MX5 last year, for the hell of it/to see for myself what all the fuss was about.

And it turned it into a completely different car (in a very, very good way indeed...after 13 years of owning and driving it beforehand :o:blush: )

Edited by L00b

They had 3 goes at my car and still didnt get it right. I ended up taking it to a place near meadowhall and they did a tip top job.

They had 3 goes at my car and still didnt get it right. I ended up taking it to a place near meadowhall and they did a tip top job.

He regularly has Porsches, Mercs, range rovers and bentlys in there getting tracked up so if there was a problem no one would go there.

I thought you were about to say "I ended up taking out a bank loan for a set of their alloys", you'd need one at their prices.