Box set and binge viewing megathread.

tinfoilhat

Hidden Assets BBC4. 

6 part crime drama set in Ireland and Antwerp.

Fully enjoyed this, well worth watching, diamonds, money laundering, twist and turns throughout to keep you interested. 

The responder BBC1 & iplayer. 5 parts.

Martin Freeman plays Chris Carson a dysfunctional Liverpudlian police bobby.

Totally unbelievable violent nonsense from beginning to end :suspect: & yet fully watchable 🙃

Beforeigners  series 2 (watched series 1 sometime ago )

Clever play on words from Norway.

Cavemen,  Vikings, Victorians and everybody in-between start appearing from the past in Bjorvika Bay, Oslo.

The Beforeigners, bringing their cultures, problems and morality with them, but Its daft enough to be enjoyable (well we think so).

Series 2's only fault is, its taken the easy route of introducing our Jack the Ripper as a returnee for the series :rolleyes: . 

Having to wait for the final episode to appear to complete the binge at the moment, but if you can find it, its well worth watching .

Keep safe and binge responsibly 8) .

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the first two episodes of Reacher, and will likely watch the rest over the weekend.  Great fun.  Does exactly what it says on the tin, and does it well.  Remarkably faithful to the book, too, so far.  And blimey, that's one big bloke.

Silly season.

Joint decision, we'd watch some old TV series's.

Deary, deary, me, did we really watch such things :confused: .

'The Wackers' - was it exported to this side of the country - never heard of it :huh: (probably out on't bike).

There is a very young and slinky Alison Steadman and some young lad called  Keith Chegwin.

If the above wasn't bad enough :suspect: we watched a few -.

'Curry and chips',  more nonsense from the pen of Johnny Speight and Spike Milligan.

Cringeworthy from the very start.

There must be a few actors (those still alive) out there wondering why they ever got involved in such :suspect: shi*e.

'The Gaffer', - follow on to 'Oh no it's Selwyn Froggitt'.

We still use the 'What you doing down there'?  -  'Getting up Grandad' line when the grandkids have had a tumble :bigsmile: 🤣 🤣.

We've enjoyed watching 'the Gaffer', most of its innocent enough fun, some of the lines appear to be fluffed and the impression is there is a lot of improvisation going on, but the humour is quite subtle to the point you have to ignore the enjoyable nonsense taking place to fully appreciate it :huh: 🤣 🤣.

'Brass'  - Timothy West at his very best - fully enjoyed the mostly enjoyable parody of 1930's them and us.  

Enjoy 8) .

The Book of Boba Fett
Episodes 1-4 were so so, but 5 and 6 were essentially episodes of The Mandalorian, with it's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly vibe. About half of 6 also featured a young Luke, impressive SFX.

Edited by ChrisIB
  • Like 1

This: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13315324/

An absolute delight from start to finish.

8 short snappy episodes. Very dream-like. Darkly funny. Kristen Bell! She does 'nutjob' so well. What's not to love? She pours red wine like I'd like to be able to afford to do 😀 .

SesJHFD.gif

(No spoilers, but look out for the inscription on her daughter's grave. It's different every time she visits. Ooooo - spooky....)

On 05/02/2022 at 09:41, Hecate said:

Watched the first two episodes of Reacher, and will likely watch the rest over the weekend.  Great fun.  Does exactly what it says on the tin, and does it well.  Remarkably faithful to the book, too, so far.  And blimey, that's one big bloke.

Finished this with a bottle of wine and a bag of malteasers, as it should be.  Thoroughly enjoyed it in all its silliness.  The bloke who plays Reacher, Alan Ritchson, looks like the much missed Patrick Swayze's younger, chunkier brother and kicks bad guy ass just like Patrick did in the 80s.

Spoiler for a small subplot completely unrelated to the main story, and one that isn't in the book.  Clicking here might spoil the subplot, but if you're like me you will likely have a growing sense of dread following certain scenes and clicking here will resolve that.  But it is a spoiler. 

Spoiler

The dog gets a happy ending!  I had to google that before I could go any further.  And Reacher punches the **** of an owner.  Though not hard enough.

On 05/02/2022 at 09:41, Hecate said:

I’ll give this a look.

I’m not a fan of novels, but there are those with a more active imagination than me, and say the books are a good read.

22 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I’ll give this a look.

I’m not a fan of novels, but there are those with a more active imagination than me, and say the books are a good read.

It could only be improved by having Jason Statham in a minor role.  It's just that good.

5 hours ago, Hecate said:

Finished this with a bottle of wine and a bag of malteasers, as it should be.  Thoroughly enjoyed it in all its silliness.  The bloke who plays Reacher, Alan Ritchson, looks like the much missed Patrick Swayze's younger, chunkier brother and kicks bad guy ass just like Patrick did in the 80s.

I’ve just finished episode 3 and so far it’s living up to my expectations.

”Hello, Spivey”

I definitely see a resemblance of the main character to Patrick Swayze and Chris Pratt too. And at least this Reacher (all 6 foot 5 inches) matches the one in the novels ( sorry, Mr Cruise).

Anyway, still 5 more episodes to go . . .