Box set and binge viewing megathread.

tinfoilhat

The Boys

I gave this a look once I saw that it was a superhero series- I'm glad I did.

It's really well made and directed, with a slightly different take on your conventional superhero movies.

Typically revolves around a group of 'superheroes' who are are treated like pop stars- all glamour and marketing, run by a corporate company. However, aside from individually having bigger issues, they are hunted by a bunch of vigilantes who want to kill em!

Karl Urban is brilliant as the lead guy, who has the filthiest vocabulary going.

I just joined Prime(cheaper to join than pay postage on my lock down orders) so i gave Jack Ryan a watch and i have to say i wasn't overly impressed. It was ok but i didn't feel it was engaging.

Going to try Bosch at some point as i'm a bg fan of the books.

5 hours ago, willman said:

I just joined Prime(cheaper to join than pay postage on my lock down orders) so i gave Jack Ryan a watch and i have to say i wasn't overly impressed. It was ok but i didn't feel it was engaging.

I liked the first few series of Bosch but I never read the books. If like sci-fi, do the expanse, that’s excellent. The Boys is good but very sweary.

6 hours ago, willman said:

Jack Ryan was fairly OK but thought the actor John Kranskie playing Ryan was not the best choice for the role.

The Last Kingdom season 4

You can really see where those Netflix dollars have been spent to increase the scale of this series from it's BBC origins. I enjoyed it a lot.

Star Trek: Enterprise S1 to S4

The only Star Trek series that I'd previously not bothered to watch throughout. Grew on me as it went on but mainly just a way to mark time during my time in the

Iso-cube.

Fringe (S1 and S2)

Great scifi series from the late 2000s. Starts out as a slightly more light-hearted version of The X-Files (mainly thanks to the brilliant comic/dramatic performance by John Noble (aka Denethor from LOTR) with a monster of the week format and then late into S1 transforms into something so much better when they really introduce the overarching storyline that will run for several seasons. Just started on S3.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

Jack Ryan was fairly OK but thought the actor John Kranskie playing Ryan was not the best choice for the role.

I thought he did ok, better than Chris Pine did at least.

And I have a soft spot for any TV series that also stars The Bunk.

14 hours ago, willman said:

Love the Bosch books but not seen the series yet.

23 hours ago, nikki-red said:

The A Word

I love this show. It has just the right mix of humour, drama, romance, while still helping to raise awareness.

Brilliantly written with great acting from everyone involved.

Just watched all of the latest series.

EXCELLENT.

Max Ventor - a young lad going far

21 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Miracle workers. Not bad but I still see Daniel radcliffe as harry potter and he doesn't have the range to change my outlook, but he seems such a nice chap I let him off. 

A bit unfair. He's got by far the greatest range of any of the kids from the Harry Potter film and he's been in some great films like Escape From Pretoria or Swiss Army Man where he's definitely not been trying to do just the same old thing.