Box set and binge viewing megathread.

tinfoilhat

On 03/06/2020 at 18:55, tinfoilhat said:

It's difficult to pin down why, Peaky Blinders for example does many things better, sex, loads of violence, excellent soundtrack - all with a bigger production budget.

But Banshee is just better. I'm giving it another go tonight... 

Just finished it again. Still fantastic.

Das Boot - second (TV) series.

Always been fascinated with submarines and their history (might have been something to do with 'Voyage to the bottom of the sea & 'Stingray' come on who couldn't have fancied Marina? LOL)   

Loved the film 'Das Boot' in all its different forms ('directors cut' etc etc) 

2nd TV series follows on from where the 1st leaves off with a good story lines that won't disappointed and I shan't spoil it for anyone but there are enough twist's and turns to keep things interesting. 

The ending is acceptable and doesn't just end like some things do but it does end with the possibility of a third series which is good enough for me.

Keep safe.

& keep yer feet dry

'We are the Wave' Netflix mini series.

Loosely based on the 2008 movie 'Die Welle which is not so  

Loosely based on the short (44mins) TV film 'The Wave' (1981) that was

Loosely based on the book (1981) 'The Wave' byTodd Strasser first published with him using the name Morton Rhu.

The book is based on a REAL social experiment conducted at Cubberley high school, California in 1967 by history teacher Ron Jones.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to which to recommend first and might be tempted to say watch the Netflix mini series first because although it purports to be based on the two films, the book and the social experiment I think the word 'Loosely is most apt.

Its always a hard choice book first or film first, isn't it ?

I like my books but if your more of a film buff you wouldn't go that wrong with either of the films first but I would probably go for the short 1981 film as it keeps fairly close to the book.

Keep safe. 

Enjoy.

4 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

'We are the Wave' Netflix mini series.

Loosely based on the 2008 movie 'Die Welle which is not so  

Loosely based on the short (44mins) TV film 'The Wave' (1981) that was

Loosely based on the book (1981) 'The Wave' byTodd Strasser first published with him using the name Morton Rhu.

The book is based on a REAL social experiment conducted at Cubberley high school, California in 1967 by history teacher Ron Jones.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to which to recommend first and might be tempted to say watch the Netflix mini series first because although it purports to be based on the two films, the book and the social experiment I think the word 'Loosely is most apt.

Its always a hard choice book first or film first, isn't it ?

I like my books but if your more of a film buff you wouldn't go that wrong with either of the films first but I would probably go for the short 1981 film as it keeps fairly close to the book.

Keep safe. 

Enjoy.

I quite enjoyed the series but think even the word ‘loosely’ is an exaggeration in this case.

Ive just watched Emergence and liked it, only to find that despite a bit of a cliffhanger ending it’s not been renewed for another season 🙄.

5 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

I quite enjoyed the series but think even the word ‘loosely’ is an exaggeration in this case.

Ive just watched Emergence and liked it, only to find that despite a bit of a cliffhanger ending it’s not been renewed for another season 🙄.

I’ve one episode left and thought that might be the case. To be honest there’s going to be loads of stuff that won’t be renewed or at very best, delayed.

The Sinner - series 3.  Another excellent turn by Bill Pullman - you are fidgeting uncomfortably with him by episode two. Matt Bomer is much more than a pretty boy, he’s a really decent actor, and Jessica Hecht was great too. All nicely shot. But there’s a problem. The plot.

Spoiler

While the first two series had twist after twist, me and my viewing partner were writing them in. “Maybe they’re related” “Is there a twin?”. No. There are none of those things. It’s a bog standard, man falls off the edge, serial killer by numbers. We’ve all seen a plot like it in a million different procedurals. “The judge has let him out on bail? Let’s hope he doesn’t go out and try and kill my nearest and dearest”.  You get the idea. Bomer’s descent into madness, Pullman’s awkwardness deserves a better plot than this.

Up your game writers.

22 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

The Sinner - series 3.  Another excellent turn by Bill Pullman - you are fidgeting uncomfortably with him by episode two. Matt Bomer is much more than a pretty boy, he’s a really decent actor, and Jessica Hecht was great too. All nicely shot. But there’s a problem. The plot.

Reveal spoiler

While the first two series had twist after twist, me and my viewing partner were writing them in. “Maybe they’re related” “Is there a twin?”. No. There are none of those things. It’s a bog standard, man falls off the edge, serial killer by numbers. We’ve all seen a plot like it in a million different procedurals. “The judge has let him out on bail? Let’s hope he doesn’t go out and try and kill my nearest and dearest”.  You get the idea. Bomer’s descent into madness, Pullman’s awkwardness deserves a better plot than this.

Up your game writers.

I saw this last week and was disappointed. 

Season 1 was very good, season 2 so/so but was expecting season 3 to be better.