Box set and binge viewing megathread.

tinfoilhat

7 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

All4 is hard work,   its obsessed with flippin adverts apart from the same loop of ads every 7_10 minuets,  after suffering 5mins of ads and when your programme starts, don't dare stop  for any reason because when you try resume, you cop for another 5 mins of ads,  All4 are completly obsessed,  the flippin Tyrants.  :gag:

I can't watch it for this very reason, ridiculous and its a shame as there's some good stuff to be found on there.

The Promise 

Only 6 episodes so easy an watch- currently showing on BBC4 and you can watch entire series via iplayer.

Very good French police thriller from the team that were behind Spiral.

The disappearance of a child brings back similarities of a case 2 decades before- which was investigated by the father of the current police captain/ investigating officer.

'The Box'   (2021).

7 part Tv series.

I like Kooky but not usually a fan of 'spooky supernatural nonsense.

Gonna make an exception in this case.

Anna Friel has came along way from her lesbian kiss days in Brookside and her incarnation of the troubled Marcella.

"Oh! no she hasn't ".

If type casting isn't a crime it should be (but if it keeps you in work and pays the bills, best of luck to the lass). Anna's character of a lesbian American cop with many of the same problems as 'Marcella' is further troubled by the death in custody (the box) of a murder suspect.

No spoiler.

It is 'kooky' all the way through, the ending could have been a little better (IMO), but the climax of crazyness worked for me.

Fully recommended, Ignore the colander that is happening plot wise and simply 'Enjoy' 8) .

On 15/02/2022 at 22:44, top4718 said:

I can't watch it for this very reason, ridiculous and its a shame as there's some good stuff to be found on there.

Agreed on the good stuff...I'm pretty sure it didn't used to have those adverts, but yeah, it has to be something I really want to watch to tolerate them.

Chloe (BBC iplayer etc).

6 part Psychological drama (?)

Ignore the reviews - unless it the ones that say - 'That's six hours of my life I won't get back'.

Over hyped, colander of a story that despite hoping if you sit through it, it'll take you somewhere - It doesn't!

The ending (no spoiler) comes in, rushes about for the final hour, throws additional confusing/ improbable  scenes into the equation and not only leaves you confused, but with questions that (hopefully) won't get answered, unless they make a follow on :gag: .

Don't do it - another to avoid 8)

Has coronavirus decimated the film / TV making industry ? too many non endings and the feeling 'that's it we've done enough' - time for home' - take the money - call it 'Psychological' or even better - 'Art house' and we'll get away with turning out dross :suspect:.

Keep safe out there and binge responsibly 8) .   

Binge viewing Mammoth event.

All 27 episodes of Sheffield's very own  'I didn't know you cared'.

Had to go to Utube America to watch it all in one go, 

Nice to take a trip back to 1970's Sheffield.

Most of the humour is very well written although the over use of some of the 'catch phrases ('I heard that' - 'pardon') are cringeworthy.

Lot's of places not there anymore, place that are still there and places you need to take a look on Google maps to quell curiosity.

For the most part the humour is good, racism only shows it head in the later series for some reason (?), the rest is good old 'slapstick and 'nudge-nudge-wink wink' stuff with visions of Sheffield chucked in.

Keeping up with the story line is easy.

Keeping up with Liz Smith's outrageously wardrobe is less so 🤣.

They must have had so much fun making this and the time spent in Sheff.

A few things mentioned in the series's to jog yer minds and baffle the younger members of SF.

Dolly Blue,

Condensed Milk Sandwiches,

Sanatogen Tonic Wine,

Halibut liver Tablets,

Spats,

Singlets,

Milkman's Horse,

Coalman's Horse,

Provident Cheque,

"I haven't fought through two world wars - for the likes of you"! (Hated that as a kid)

Mythering, 

Fully recommended, go on treat yer selves to a bit of 1970's Sheffield nostalgia .

Bonus for us we can even see my mothers house in one of the scenes 🤣.

Keep safe out there and binge responsibly 8).

On 15/02/2022 at 20:15, Rockers rule said:

Magpie Murders - 6 part (Britbox). ...

The book is excellent.  I like Anthony Horowitz's work very much. 

I'd like to see a TV version of his Hawthorne and Horowitz series.  Though I still haven't decided whether putting himself in the books as one of the two protagonists is brilliantly audacious or massively narcissistic.  Probably a bit of both.  But they're clever and intriguing tales well told, which is the important thing.

I'm revisiting the first season of Elementary now it's back on Amazon.  The Benedict Cumberbatch Holmes was very enjoyable indeed,  but I think Jonny Lee Miller's is better, and the series benefits greatly from a solid focus on story and character rather than eventually getting lost in a whiff of preening, smug cleverness.

Elementary has a massive and exceptionally well done twist in the last few episodes of season 1 too.  Recommended.

7 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Most of the humour is very well written although the over use of some of the 'catch phrases ('I heard that' - 'pardon') are cringeworthy.

Lot's of places not there anymore, place that are still there and places you need to take a look on Google maps to quell curiosity.

For the most part the humour is good, racism only shows it head in the later series for some reason (?), the rest is good old 'slapstick and 'nudge-nudge-wink wink' stuff with visions of Sheffield chucked in.

A few things mentioned in the series's to jog yer minds and baffle the younger members of SF.

Dolly Blue,

Sanatogen Tonic Wine,

Halibut liver Tablets,

Spats,

Singlets,

Milkman's Horse,

Coalman's Horse,

Provident Cheque,

"I haven't fought through two world wars - for the likes of you"! (Hated that as a kid)

Mythering, 

Fully recommended, go on treat yer selves to a bit of 1970's Sheffield nostalgia .

Was indeed a very enjoyable show. Robin Bailey's Uncle Mort was straight out of a Giles cartoon.

9 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Dolly Blue,

Sanatogen Tonic Wine,

Halibut liver Tablets,

Spats,

Singlets,

Milkman's Horse,

Coalman's Horse,

Provident Cheque,

Mythering, 

Used to watch this as a kid but never got the Sheffield connection back then.

10 hours ago, top4718 said:

Used to watch this as a kid but never got the Sheffield connection back then.

What! :bigsmile: ! Big part of Sheffield was 'I didn't know you cared'.

We lived at Higfield's at the time and remember them filming up Myrtel Rd.

Didn't know they'd filmed even nearer to us, Sharrow St and Club Garden Rd.

Back then, once it had been on the telly it was in the ether (Aether), no box set's, Dvd's or Utube back then.

I'll re-open the 'I didn't know you cared, filming Locations' post again, and update it. 

Thanks to Google maps etc we can now visit the locations without even leaving home 🙃.

Not a spoiler, but in one of the later scenes Mort etc are stood in a 'bookies' doorway looking across the road towards the 'Ship inn.

Not a bad trick - it's 16.03 miles between Salmon St Highfields, & Dun St Swinton! Must have been a clear day 🤣🤣.

(AA route planners were something else we didn't have back then, unless you counted the graph at the back of your road atlas 🤣) .

Keep safe out there 8)  enjoy.