Box set and binge viewing megathread.

tinfoilhat

Guest ThaBoom
On 22/11/2022 at 20:20, Funky_Gibbon said:

Tokyo Vice (season 1)

On iPlayer in full or starting tonight (22/11/2022) on BBC1 at 9:10pm.

The (loosely) true story of a young American who moves to Japan and succeeds in becoming the first foreign-born person to be hired to work as a journalist by a major Japanese newspaper and who, chafing against the restrictions placed upon him by his bosses, starts to privately investigate the influence and crimes of the Yakuza in Japanese society and in doing so attracts the attention of both gangsters and detectives as he gets deeper into the unspoken and unacknowledged underworld of Tokyo.

Slow burn, gritty neo-noir. The lead actor does an ok job as the somewhat naive stranger in a strange land but can also be a bit annoying. Other than that the cast is excellent.

Finished watching this yesterday and really got into it, despite at times feeling it needed more action.

But, its designed to be this way, slowly dragging viewers and then having some tense scenes.

I'm a huge fan of Yakuza films and this drama doesn't disappoint.

Wednesday (Addams) Netflix 8 episodes. (Tim Burton).

'A coming-of-age supernatural comedy horror'

is what it says.

Wednesday has a new school and a monster on the loose in the woods.

Story wise, it's predictable (I'd worked out the end twist in episode one).

The big disappointment was, while the first episode started off with so much promise (and a great comedic moment).

The comedic moments are good when they come but there is just not the constant punchiness to them.

What should have been 100mph comedy all the way, flat lines in most episodes.

Well filmed, well-acted spoilt by a mediocre story line ☹️.

Catherine Zeta-Jones just isn't slinky enough to be Morticia? & Luis Gusman is just to villain-ness to be Gomez.

Worth watching but could have been a lot better.

Keep safe and binge responsibly 8)

Edited by Rockers rule
-

Gangs of London.

Season 2.

(Let's hope there isn't a third)

Lots of Rat-a-tat-tat of machine guns (again), killings (again), explosions (again), betrayal (again), counter betrayal (again).

Bored yet? we were.

The poor storyline continues from series one into an ending that (No Spoiler) you'll have to watch yourself.

One to avoid :suspect:

Edited by Rockers rule
-

10 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Watched a new one on Netflix this week . 1899 .  Some people , all with secrets stuck on a cruise ship in 1899 .  Like a massive episode of The Twilight Zone.  Mindbending  

See #814 Hackey 🤣

Loved the twist (No Spoiler)

Fully Enjoyed 8)

Watch the making of 1899 - Amazing ✔️

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

'Ghosts' (U.S version) - it's on I-Player.

Really enjoyed this. 18 episodes over three days. I'm a big fan of the British original but was constantly frustrated that they only made 6 episodes at a time. Not the Yanks. The pilot was successful so they made another 17. That's the way to go!

Now that the Brit version is done I'm hoping the the colonial version will continue beyond its first run.

Some episodes are direct remakes of the originals, some go off on unfamiliar (and interesting) tangents.

The characters are similar yet very different. The American version has a contempory of Hamilton, a Red Indian, a Viking, a Woodstock airhead and a decapitated biker. The lead is played by one of my favourite actresses, Rose McIver (of I-Zombie fame).

Unexpected fun.

On 06/08/2022 at 16:45, Hecate said:

Have been watching the adaptations of Robert Galbraith's Strike books.  They're excellent, despite a tiny wee bit of slightly dodgy casting, and the middle two - The Silkworm and Career Of Evil - desperately needed another episode, at least, to fully do justice to the plot.  It's a good thing that I'd read the (also excellent) novel or I would have lost my place during the latter.  Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger are fantastic as Strike and Robin. 

Looking forward to the next one (and the new book, The Ink Black Heart, out in a few weeks' time).

A lot of time for 'Strike'. Doesn't follow the usual dectective & sidekick route. The books are great and the tv adaptions fairly faithful. Bring on the new one. 

Not for the easily distracted though. If you're the type of viewer that's up and down for crisps/peanuts/a wee every two minutes you're not going to follow it. They all take concentration.

Edited by wearysmith

3 hours ago, wearysmith said:

A lot of time for 'Strike'. Doesn't follow the usual dectective & sidekick route. The books are great and the tv adaptions fairly faithful. Bring on the new one. 

Not for the easily distracted though. If you're the type of viewer that's up and down for crisps/peanuts/a wee every two minutes you're not going to follow it. They all take concentration.

Particularly agree with the last bit, and it certainly applies to Career of Evil.  That one definitely needed another episode or two for plot clarity, as the novel is one huge, beautifully choreographed nest of twists and turns with three winding paths hidden in there (no spoilers here!) that managed to get a little bit lost in the thickets in the tele version.  

New one this weekend!  Troubled Blood, 9pm, Sunday December 11th on BBC 1.  And I believe (but don't quote me) that all four episodes will be available on iPlayer from 9pm the same day.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Hecate said:

Particularly agree with the last bit, and it certainly applies to Career of Evil.  That one definitely needed another episode or two for plot clarity, as the novel is one huge, beautifully choreographed nest of twists and turns with three winding paths hidden in there (no spoilers here!) that managed to get a little bit lost in the thickets in the tele version.  

New one this weekend!  Troubled Blood, 9pm, Sunday December 11th on BBC 1.  And I believe (but don't quote me) that all four episodes will be available on iPlayer the day before.

Ta for that. We've currently got the grandkids living with us so trying to binge watch is simply not on the cards. Will probably view over an extended period 🙁

Quick correction to my previous post: all episodes of Strike: Troubled Blood will be available on iPlayer from 9pm on Sunday December 11th (and not the day before, as I wrote originally).  From here.