Cosmogenesis .

How did the universe start?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How did the universe start?

• Constructed pretty much as it is by a god or gods who take a continuing interest in us
    • Big bang or similar initiated by a god or gods who takes a continuing interest in us
    • Big bang or similar initiated by an intelligence of some kind
    • Big bang or similar initiated naturally
    • Always been here and always will be
    • Sneezed out of the nose of the Great Green Arkleseizure
    • Other

The Matter still exists though even though the anti matter cancels it out.

The matter only exists for a brief time unless something eats it's partner. The thing which eats it's partner loses exactly the same amount of mass/energy (and all other properties) which has been created and the total energy (all all other properties) of the universe remain unchanged.

This is all speculation though as it depends on the Hawking radiation phenomenon to work and we don't know that it does.

---------- Post added 04-05-2016 at 14:11 ----------

So it's more like using a blackhole as a battery :-)

---------- Post added 04-05-2016 at 14:06 ----------

Seems like I might have got that wrong though, unbeliever said it's not as simple as matter/anti-matter.

The wiki page on the matter looks pretty accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy

The matter only exists for a brief time unless something eats it's partner. The thing which eats it's partner loses exactly the same amount of mass/energy (and all other properties) which has been created and the total energy (all all other properties) of the universe remain unchanged.

This is all speculation though as it depends on the Hawking radiation phenomenon to work and we don't know that it does.

Unless the anti matter also continues to exist.

No, that's not an explanation for matter popping into existence right now. That's just a puzzle we haven't yet been able to figure out.

Yes just re-read. I though we were talking about the beginning and the big bang not matter popping into existence now.

Unless the anti matter also continues to exist.

These particles cannot continue to exist, they're virtual.

They're distinct from real particles and do not have the option of surviving without a lot of help.

Have a look at the wiki page.

The conversion of say a gamma-ray into an electron-positron pair or the reverse of that are similar but quite distinct processes.

Energy can be borrowed from the Heisenberg uncertainly principle, but it has to be returned quickly.

These particles cannot continue to exist, they're virtual.

They're distinct from real particles and do not have the option of surviving without a lot of help.

Have a look at the wiki page.

The conversion of say a gamma-ray into an electron-positron pair or the reverse of that are similar but quite distinct processes.

Energy can be borrowed from the Heisenberg uncertainly principle, but it has to be returned quickly.

If the matter can't continue to exist then how can we exist unless the matter always existed.

Vacuum fluctuations are always created as particle–antiparticle pairs.

I was misremembering this I think.

I can't find an answer to what these particles can actually be, but in the Hawking radiation scenario the half of the pair which falls into the blackhole has negative mass, whilst the other half "becomes real".

I see from replies that sutty has given up his diatribe about the unwaged and he's trolling this thread now... no matter what you tell him he'll pick the most incorrect response possible guys to jerk your chain again...

If the matter can't continue to exist then how can we exist unless the matter always existed.

When the energy density of the universe was much higher (i.e. the universe was much smaller) there was enough energy sitting around to give rise to real particles. Now there isn't.

---------- Post added 04-05-2016 at 14:26 ----------

I was misremembering this I think.

I can't find an answer to what these particles can actually be, but in the Hawking radiation scenario the half of the pair which falls into the blackhole has negative mass, whilst the other half "becomes real".

You weren't far off. One of the virtual particles will be virtual anti-matter and the other virtual matter. The key thing though is that both are virtual.

Within the scope of the universe as best we understand it is matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed.

There's no evidence that it can, and an extraordinary claim requires {fill in blank}, right? Not just the vague idea that somehow this might explain spacetime expansion...

Within the scope of the universe as best we understand it is matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed.

There's no evidence that it can, and an extraordinary claim requires {fill in blank}, right? Not just the vague idea that somehow this might explain spacetime expansion...

But they can exchange places, so energy can become matter and matter energy, in this case its vacuum energy creating matter or to be more precise conversion of vacuum energy to matter.

Now if the universe had a start and was created from nothing, (the absence of a vacuum) then it must have broke that rule because then we really would be getting something from nothing, this is why I think it as always existed.