When was the Hallamshire hospital built?

I had a neighbour who was one of the original Hallamshire administrators. He told me delays were due to the original lifts that were supplied being too big for the lift shafts!!

One of many reasons, but the lift problem was a right blunder. The lifts were then too small for beds

Patients are already regularly ferried across from the NGH A&E to the RHH immediately into surgery or onto the ward for their treatment.

So maybe you should tell the Neuro department and the people who run STH that they have to move across to the NGH, because they don't see to realise this themselves. They've just spend millions building a new NHDU and NITU taking up almost all off a floor of the RHH, and also are also planning on building some new high-tech neuro theatres.

Then there's the fact that the Neuro department also covers the children's hospital, so the consultants and their team work across the two different sites. I also cannot see Max-Fax being split too far from the Charles Clifford hospital.

Millions had to be spent at RHH to bring it up to the required standard - the new facilities are beautiful and will keep the units working up to spec for a while longer - but because the MTC is at the NGH, plans had to be in place for future relocation of acute services on site. The same site where the air ambulance lands without the need for land ambulance transfer causing delays to treatment and extra movement of the casualty.

It will happen, not for a while, but it will happen - it has to if you consider it logically.

Regards

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 08:35 ----------

One of many reasons, but the lift problem was a right blunder. The lifts were then too small for beds

I believe the lifts were large enough to take a hospital bed but with no room either side for anyone to get in the lift with the bed.

It was dealt with quickly but caused some delay causing the building to be nicknamed 'faulty towers' at the time.

Edited by Daven

Yes, it is the motto of the Medical School, carved in stone outside the hosptal, just as it appeared on the original building in Surrey Street - see here and also here. A more complete quotation (from the ancient Greek physician, Hippocrates) is:

Ars longa vita brevis, occasio praeceps,experimentum periculosum,iudicium difficile.

Art is long life is short, opportunity fleeting, experimentations perilous, and judgement difficult.