Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

peterw

We used to sledge down Hawksley Avenue net to Hillsborough Park.

At that time it was a cobbled road with protruding setts at regular intervals next to the pavement.

These were to stop horse & carts running backwards when they stood on the hill.

If you ever hit one of these it used to do your knees in, on the back edge of the old heavy flat ironed sledges.

When I have walked past the top of that road in later years it doesn't look very steep or long and hardly worth the effort.

As a kid we were there every night when it was snow covered and had some great fun there.

Happy Days!

we use to sledge from top of osgathorpe park, golfing teeoffs the lot hurt like hell when got to the bottom but great fun also whent down the ski village slope when they first started building it on a old plastic toilet seat that nearly killed me when i hit a banking of mud at the bottom never did it again

Used to sledge down a field/hill known locally as the cowie,its the field at the side of fox lane between basegreen and frechville.

Can't believe the risks we took,three on a sledge,and you had to jump off before the bottom,or you would end up on the road under a car :o

Brilliant fun though :D

Richmond Park... oh the memories :hihi:

I too lived in Richmond but thought the park a bit tame. My home backed onto a piece of land that we called the cowfield or cowflop. It was considerably steeper than the park - the only snag was the stream which was at the bottom of the slope. This was also a great location for using a "shelter tin", a section of Anderson shelter, but it was a bit of a struggle to get it back up the hill again.

I think the best run I ever had, only briefly, was when they had started construction of the Stradbroke estate. All the infrastructure, including roads, was put in before any houses were built. One evening after school, I lay on my sledge at the entrance into the estate from Stradbroke Road and went unimpeded, for about a mile (or so it seemed). The surface of the roads was icy and we went along at a hell of a lick. The downside, as ever, was the boring walk back home.

BLAKE STREET, I lived on it. BASSPLAYER thats exactly how i remember it the taped together bin bags with four of us on at a time,i must know you??

I actually lived on Bransby Street just off Boyce Street, nxt door to the Toynes. Do you remember Alison?

Kent Rd on the Gleadless Rd side. From the top of the hill down to the back of the Wagon and Horses. If you were lucky you stopped on the small uphill slope, if not you shot out into Gleadless Rd.

Be highly dangerous now but there wasn't so much traffic about in the 50s.

Progressed to Meersbrook Park where there was one bench in the middle of the run which claimed many scalps ( and other bits ).

regards Mick

Archived