Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

peterw

Longley Park for sledging, there was always a part of the fence down were we got in so we didn't have to walk around to the main gate, in fact I think we were the ones that broke it down, but just enought for one person at a time to get thru...so not much damage done :hihi:

South Street on Parkhill, fab

The hill between Park Hill and the station? That was great! It had the added thrill of careering across the road at the bottom of the hill, and the wondering about whether or not you'd slam into the wall overlooking the train tracks :hihi: .

We went on Eastbank road from the Kenninghall estate. All the kids used to sledge there we sometimes jumped the wall at the PWP yard & pinch some plastic sheeting then we would have about 14 kids on it all going down the hill, no steering at the same time.:loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

Anyone else sledge down the steep part of Doe Royd Cres?I used to live at the top of the hill in the 40s to early 50s Most of us had home-made wooden sledges We got accused of having "cutters" on our sledge My friend went home in tears when the other kids wouldnt let us use her sledge

I lived at Parson Cross and we used to sledge down the field on Colley Crescent and built humps to "fly" over! The only thing was when the sledge came out after last year the runners were always rusty and needed a good clean up before they would glide!

• 5 months later...

there was a great field at the back of the houses on twentywell road in Bradway. Not only could you sledge there but people practised ski-ing as well. Sorry to see the field was no longer when I visited last year - now an extension of the housing estate.

Archived