Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

peterw

It was The Bole Hills at Crookes for me as a kid. Straight down hill towards Tinker Lane. If you didnt stop in time - you hit the wall and left your sledge behind. Cool!

Caz

Spot on Cazz.....you sometimes finished up in Tinker Lane.

Did you ever do the "Flying Imp"

Sledging down Sally Clarks at Woodhouse.(in the 70's & 80's).........i relived that memory a few years ago when we actually had some snow deep enough to sledge. It was awsome.

Awesome is the word if you went from the top of the hill belly flop you were going rather fast by the time you hit some bumps and in my day (50`s) there was the railway line across the bottom from the old Birley pit to cross then down on to the lane...not for the squeamish.

Come on...You sledging experts of the 50/60's you've never lived if haven't done the "Patmore Road" run at "FirthPark" It was so dangerous they had to relandscape the area.

"Patmore Road run"! Done that in my nappies. Pitsmoor's Fitzallen was the mother of all sledging runs, not many have lived to tell the tale.

We lived in Burncross in late sixties and used to go down the short but steep bank in the field off Windmill Lane opposite the path from Ash View. In the summer it was called the rolypoly field. Went to find it last week, the fields still there but the stile's gone, the hedge is thick and you can't get in anymore.

Used to be a spring in the bottom which if you got it wrong ensured a soaking.

I grew up with 2 brothers and 4 male cousins, all older than me. I remember nagging the life out of them to let me go sledging with them. I went down Conisbrough/Denaby crags, over what was known as "The Yorkshire Bumps" on a piece of oilcloth. I came came down hard on my backside and spent two weeks in bed unable to move.

I also remember my brother taking the metal springs off my dolls pram, uncoiling them and nailing them to the runners of his wooden sledge.

• 1 month later...
I lived on Firth Park Crescent.......used to start at the top of Bevercotes Road at Windmill Lane and go all the way down towards Bellhouse Road.

Also tried the steep hill down towards the stream in Firth Park a few times ..

.............but that was a little dangerous.

A long time ago.

that part of bevercotes you sledged was on our front door do remember any body

sledging on air raid shelter tins that would be me and my mates

Archived