Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

peterw

When you were younger, where was your favourite spot for sledging?

My second favourite was Dover Road — until a lad overshot it and finished up being hit be a tram on Ecclesall Road. Luckily, he was not seriously injured.

my kids love going to osgathorpe park..one of the hills is pretty steep..they tried getting me to have a go..but i was far to sensible to do anything like that (scared more like) :hihi::hihi:

Bingham Park was the place! Very steep and with a narrow footpath down to Stainton Rd. which when cleared by the Parkies turned into a snow-banked Cresta Run. My sledge was the fastest locally and was a "special" in 1" half-round steel with wooden slats made by Cartwright's ironmongers at Banner Cross. Cost 30 bob as opposed to the normal 25 bob and what's more I still have it, albeit with new slats. All the steep roads up the hill from Louth Rd. were perfect for serious sledging and were pretty crowded after the war.

• 1 month later...
Belly flop down Wilson's Field, Highcliffe Road, to the edge of the River Porter at the bottom - about 1 in 4 gradient - awesome!

I didn't know that it had a name, but yes, that is good - only done it as an adult 'though.

As a kid, the favourite was starting behind the bus shelter opposite Bole Hill School. In mildish weather it was just a short grassy run down onto Rivelin Street before grinding to a halt on the tarmac. But in proper frozen snow weather we had enough momentum to carry us past the top of Bell Hagg Road, and then down the rest of Rivelin Street down to the footpath at the bottom. It was a bu@@er to walk back up. We'd be out for hours in the dark. When we finally went home, our hands, feet and legs would be soaking, and have no feeling. Mum would slowly thaw us out.

We used to sledge down Hawthorne Street from the top on Walkley Crescent Road to Walkley Bank Road. If you wanted or dared, you could turn down Walkley Bank and finish up in Storrs Hall Road. No cars then so no need to clear the road, if anybody tried they got jeered and snowballed.

I had two sledges, one my dad made me which was low slung and had cutters for slides which were about 3/8 inch wide and that flew on ice but I used to get chucked off by my mates for cutting up the surface. The other was quite tall with flat blades, this went well but a bit bit hard to steer. We used to keep to our own slides and were quite territorial anyone strange got chased off, same for us if we went anywhere like, Bowness Road. Great times it seemed to snow and stay for weeks. We used to do the one from Bolehill Road down to Rivelin Street. Remember one time back in the 50's one mate sledging down the footpath from the school,(No buses then on Bolehill Road) and going under between the front and back wheels of a big van travelling up towards the 'Cottage' and coming out the other side. His face was whiter than snow. The driver had no idea what had happened but we all ran off.

We used to sledge down Hawthorne Street from the top on Walkley Crescent Road to Walkley Bank Road. If you wanted or dared, you could turn down Walkley Bank and finish up in Storrs Hall Road. No cars then so no need to clear the road, if anybody tried they got jeered and snowballed.

I had two sledges, one my dad made me which was low slung and had cutters for slides which were about 3/8 inch wide and that flew on ice but I used to get chucked off by my mates for cutting up the surface. The other was quite tall with flat blades, this went well but a bit bit hard to steer. We used to keep to our own slides and were quite territorial anyone strange got chased off, same for us if we went anywhere like, Bowness Road. Great times it seemed to snow and stay for weeks. We used to do the one from Bolehill Road down to Rivelin Street. Remember one time back in the 50's one mate sledging down the footpath from the school,(No buses then on Bolehill Road) and going under between the front and back wheels of a big van travelling up towards the 'Cottage' and coming out the other side. His face was whiter than snow. The driver had no idea what had happened but we all ran off.

Oi you!!!! Get off our patch.:rant::rant::D

We never got down as far as Hawthorne St or the Walkley Bank area, either in winter or even in summer. That area was totally unknown to us at that age, we never went much beyond Providence Road. Our main area was pretty much a triangle made up of Bole Hill Road, Rivelin Street and Waller Road., plus the Bole Hills and the Rivelin valley itself, from the paddling pool and further upstream - but we rarely went down towards Malin Bridge. That reminds me, we sometimes sledged on either Rangely or Waller Roads - not sure which, but I don't much remember using the bole hills for sledging - sometimes we did, but by far the most common was Rivelin Street, as it was nearest for us.

Archived