Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

peterw

When you were younger, where was your favourite spot for sledging? Along with a host of other youngsters I favoured Wayland Road, Sharrow Vale, which was quite steep and we had difficulty in either stopping at the bottom or doing a quick turn into a road which I can’t remember the name of. The whole road turned to ice very quickly, but luckily, in those days, nobody had cars so there were no complaints.

My second favourite was Dover Road — until a lad overshot it and finished up being hit be a tram on Ecclesall Road. Luckily, he was not seriously injured.

Hi peterw, would that possibly be Bagshot Rd?

Living on Brocco Bank I used to go into Endcliffe Park, although the slopes there tend to be wooded so it was always a bit tricky making the necessary manoeuvres to avoid trees and roots. We did get fairly adept at it, although on one occasion I must have lost concentration or something. Suddenly there was this huge trunk in front of me. The sledge hit the trunk, I slid forward and then I hit the trunk - with my head. The tree didn't make any attempt to jump out of the way, or fall down hurt. I did though. It was quite a while before I could stand up properly. Good thing I was sitting on the sledge, rather than going down on my stomach. That could have been really nasty!

Another place I used was Rossington Road. This was even more dangerous - a really steep road with Brocco Bank at the bottom. In my childhood days, Rossington Rd was cobbled. The cobbles had become smooth and shiny, and you probably didn't need snow to sledge down them anyway. Even though there were far fewer cars around in those days, Brocco Bank has always been relatively busy. We had developed (pretty much) the nack of either turning the sledge into a wall or, more often, into the front of someone's garage near the bottom. I think this was the only garage on the road. Failing that, the drive to what is now (I think) the Peace Guest House was just next to this. As a last resort we would just roll off the sledge, clutching the rope and thus avoiding the sledge continuing on its course to the main road. It was bad enough us getting hurt but we couldn't be doing with the sledge getting damaged!!!!!

Cheers Jass

I lived on Firth Park Crescent.......used to start at the top of Bevercotes Road at Windmill Lane and go all the way down towards Bellhouse Road.

Also tried the steep hill down towards the stream in Firth Park a few times ..

.............but that was a little dangerous.

A long time ago.

Hi Radishes. I lived on Firth Park Crescent for a few years too - though not as a child. Number 115 - the Bellhouse Rd end. When were you there?

Hi jass...

........lived at 91 Firth Park crescent until 1968......when I joined a band in London..........My Mother lived there until her passing in 1982........in fact that was the last time I was there....I'm sorry to say.

my favourite was on white lane fields in Frechville. that was a great spot. In my dads day it was from Western park right down the hill over a couple of roads he said, he also di the same route on several go carts he made in the cellar withhis brother in law!

Yes the Cowey at Frechville was a great place, I always went sledging there too:D

Hi Jass, Yes, that was its name — Bagshot Road! You lived on Brocco Bank, eh! The posh area! Believe it or not, the first time I saw a refrigerator was in 1937 when a school chum, whose father was a doctor, invited me and a few others to his birthday party. His mother asked us if we wanted ice cream and of course we all said YES PLEASE! Imagine our surprise when she went to this big white object and opened its door — and a light came on, like magic. Out came the ice cream, and while the rest were making merry I must have spent five minutes or more opening the fridge door just to see the light come on. And imagine my surprise when the doctor took us all home in his car. It was the first time I’d been in a car, too, and when he opened the door — the light came on!

That was 70 years ago, and here I am, at the ripe old age of 77, hob-nobbing — albeit on the internet — with a second aquaintance who lived on Brocco Bank! What a surprising world we live in!

Archived