Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

peterw

my favourite was on white lane fields in Frechville. that was a great spot. In my dads day it was from Western park right down the hill over a couple of roads he said, he also di the same route on several go carts he made in the cellar withhis brother in law!
my hubby went down Bannon st across main rd down the side of a chip shop just missing a bus

• 6 months later...
Were those the fields I knew as Needham's?

That takes me back to my childhood! Did you live around there! If so, you will remember the houses being the built! They started over by what is now Carterknowle Ave, and worked the way accross, I was about 13-14 when they worked up Bannerdale Road, I walked to Greystones school, ah! the wolf whistles, I have a good memory!! It doesn't happen these days, mind you I'm 63 now!!!!!

Concord Park was an excellent site for sleighing in my childhood, and I imagine it is so still. We called it 'sledging' though. I recall hurtling down through the golf links to the bottom of Woolley Wood, and the path near to the rear of Standon Drive.

Radishes is correct about Bevercotes Road too. A good friend of mine lived at the bottom [near the Wharncliffe pub? I think that was its name] and we'd 'sledge' down it on to BellHouse Rd too circa early 70s.

We used to do Concord Park too....Great place to sledge. Spent a lot of time in Wooley Woods as well...Living on Shirgreen and scouting in Wincobank. Great place to go "play". (Before computers I might add)

Beavercoats used to scare me..I always went down there slowly LOL.

Anyone from 61st Scouts, Wincobank?

Hi Jass, Yes, that was its name — Bagshot Road! You lived on Brocco Bank, eh! The posh area! Believe it or not, the first time I saw a refrigerator was in 1937 when a school chum, whose father was a doctor, invited me and a few others to his birthday party. His mother asked us if we wanted ice cream and of course we all said YES PLEASE! Imagine our surprise when she went to this big white object and opened its door — and a light came on, like magic. Out came the ice cream, and while the rest were making merry I must have spent five minutes or more opening the fridge door just to see the light come on. And imagine my surprise when the doctor took us all home in his car. It was the first time I’d been in a car, too, and when he opened the door — the light came on!

That was 70 years ago, and here I am, at the ripe old age of 77, hob-nobbing — albeit on the internet — with a second aquaintance who lived on Brocco Bank! What a surprising world we live in!

I'm the same age as you, born in Brightside in 1931. two up, two down house with no hot water, and a lavatory in't back yard. I finally hobnobbed with the gentry when I met a girl from Sharpe Avenue in Greenhill, whose father was a wealthy butcher. They had a fridge, and a bathroom, even a seperate indoor bathroom, and did I ever enjoy a glass of ice cold milk, so much so I married the daughter. As for sledging, any of the roads in Nether Edge were great for it, especially Sandford Grove. There weren't many cars around during the war as petrol wasn't only rationed it was unobtainable unless you needed one for business. They put some stuff in the petrol so iit could be identified as for business use. Heaven help you if you were caught using it to take the missus to the shops.

• 1 year later...
Spot on Cazz.....you sometimes finished up in Tinker Lane.

Did you ever do the "Flying Imp"

I remember one year we built a ramp up to the wall and if you hit it right you could stay on your sledge into Tinker lane and keep going all the way down to Bolehill road.

Hell of a walk back up though :-)

Archived