Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

peterw

I remember sledging in Meersbrook Park at the top near to where the swings were. There was two slopes one for the begginers and the other for the insane, LOL.

Such wonderful times were had there, with our home made sledges:loopy:

• 3 weeks later...

We lived on Millmount Rd. in Meersbrook which was very steep. I'd just made myself a new sledge and the road was icy but pebbles stuck up above the thin layer.Trams ran across the bottom on Chesterfield Rd. Suddenly the sledge reached a big patch which was pure ice and I was flying to my early death towards a tram just starting off from the stop,the driver saw me and stopped only to see me shoot across the road into the gutter wherein I was catapulted against a wall,dazed but serviceable. I never told my mother but my dad found out and I got a thick ear for my troubles.

meersbrook park was fantastic for sledging but what a trek back up to the top-that was in the early 60s when it actually used to snow...happy days!!

:hihi: Yes I sledged in Meersbrook park towards the air raid shelters. Trouble was the trees had no sense of direction and they quite often jumped into my path and caused a few bruises.:hihi:

• 6 months later...
silverdale school field far side of the paddock on bin liners ace :thumbsup:

people still the dinner trays from the cafeteria and use them these days...talk about making do with what youve got lol.

My dad use to take me and my brother out up to ringinglow, and theres a massive field behind the pub which we use to slide down...my dad use to love the oppertunity to be 10 years old again and he usually ended up having more turns than me and my bro ! :)

Archived