Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

peterw

[QUOTE=BLITZER]Hi peterw,70 years ago,I was just leaving school.If we'd only known what life would throw at us in the following years. My favourite sledge run was down Mount St to Clubgarden Rd and on to Landsdown Rd. Feet soaking wet,but who cared,had to use the snow whilst it was there.

Surprised at you Blitzer!Didn't you ever go and sledge down Pearl St?Everyone went there in my time!!!

Ooooh, Shepherd's Hill at Intake (across from the Hollin Bush). We used to end right down in The Botts if you got a good run up.

And then we'd have a "pile on" - a massive sheet of plastic and everyone would just pile onto it just before it dipped over the top of the hill.

Then we'd wander up to the chippy on Alnwick road for a bag of 5p chips and get home with our wellies full of snow!

Marvellous days :-)

During the 'big snow' in 61/62. It seemed the snow was on the ground all through winter. It certainly made for some brilliant sledging.

Desy has already mentioned in an earlier post one of the 'runs' on the Tip, just below Weston Valley Park.

During the big freeze a number of routes started to appear and you went on them according to age and/or fearlessness. The ''big' one cut diagonally across the Tip starting close to the Keepers Hut, down the hill, and if you had enough speed, you could leave the ground over a bump at the top of a steeper bank which led down to the football pitch. You then had the choice of digging in your heels and stopping or carrying on down the wide path which ran alongside the Ponderosa. That was ok, but it was a hell of a walk back if you did it and was usually reserved for the last run of the night just after you heard your mother shouting across the tip for you to get back in before you caught your death of cold.

I also used to sledge down the hill on th esea cadet field at wisewood!

We all used to pile there after school or weekends and line up at the top with our bin bags in hand. By the time you hit the lump at the bottom you left the ground and landed with one hell of a clout on your ass!! You don't get bruising like that on a plastic sledge!!

I also remember sledging in the field across from the Anvil pub when I was much smaller. A friend of mine was on his wooden sledge and couldn't stop when he got to the bottom of the field. He shot under the barbed wire fence and landed in the stream!!

It was amazing!

Aaahhh...................those were the days!!!!

Before Blake Street got resurfaced, no-one could use a sledge on it due to the cobbles.

So it got resurfaced.

The following winter when it "REALLY SNOWED BUCKETS" out they came.

If you know Blake street, you will see that it is incredibley steeeeeeeep! alomst to the point that you cannot see the summit. Half way up is Boyce Street; so that is where the Launch Control was. Kids used to use black sacks taped together and they were fast. Now at the bottom of Blake Street, it comes to a T junction with Upperthorpe and across the road is a brick wall.

Many a snowy afternnon was spent at the bottom of Blake Street time trialing and watching out for traffic whilst the bravehearted fools slammed into the wall. Eventually to minimise the injuries, several layers of clothing were worn to cushion the impacts and further to that bags of straw were leaned up against what was called Impact Wall. Zoooooooom....BANG!!!

Great days, great days.......

I remember sledging down Salt Box Lane in Grenoside on my way to Guides and dancing lessons down the bottom. We used to go in the park too and Dad used to take us up into the woods . Down the jennell on Vicarge Road led led up to the woods Memories !!!!!!!!!!!

Grenoside Park, from main street to Blacksmith Lane in 3 nano seconds!!!!

Jim:thumbsup:

Around 1945 I sledged from the top of Molineaux rd [shiregreen] to the stream at Hartley Brook across Hartley Brook rd not much traffic then i was only 5 or 6 yrs old mothers nightmare.

We moved to hillside ave in 1946 we then sledged on shelter tins from tunwell knowl down to the Jews cemetery. must have been the bad 1947 winter and the estate was being built with POW'S.

WE HAD NOT GOT A CAR OR LUXURYS BUT ENJOYED LIF

;)

[QUOTE=BLITZER]Hi peterw,70 years ago,I was just leaving school.If we'd only known what life would throw at us in the following years. My favourite sledge run was down Mount St to Clubgarden Rd and on to Landsdown Rd. Feet soaking wet,but who cared,had to use the snow whilst it was there.

Surprised at you Blitzer!Didn't you ever go and sledge down Pearl St?Everyone went there in my time!!!

What was the attraction of Pearl St eileent? I would have thought Mount St was equally as good - and you were supporting home territory!

Archived