Speeding camera (M1 Northbound before J29)

Haha, tres drole mon ami!

Unfortunately they didn't. They were quite happy to take my money. I am not exaggerating when I say that everybody (EVERYBODY) I know had similar letters on a frequent basis.

My grandfather, a very religious man who was very much an observer of rules, I once caught swearing like a trooper because Tobias sent a letter. He exceeded the limit by 5 km/h on a 100 km/h road (note, that is 5% when odometers are well known to have that sort of tolerance anyway) and recalled the trip precisely - he was chatting to my grandmother about my uncle and had got 'heated under the collar' because he didn't agree.

Trust me when I say that the police in the UK are FAR better at observing SENSIBLE tolerances than the Dutch are.

My dad was shocker, nicked twice on the same camera - months apart a few miles from home. Daft. There was only about 4 in the town at the time!

That said, I've no problems with cameras if an area is well signed. I've crawled along at times in strange area when you're not entirely sure if it's 30 or 40 but there are camera signs around.

Absolutely. But does breaking said (daft) law and whining about fines as though it's some cottage industry makes less sense.

Write to your mp. Join a pressure group. Take the bus.

Is it whining to engage in an online debate?

I don't think anyone here has actually complained about getting a ticket have they? They just don't like the fact that speed limits should be so extensively and rigorously enforced.

I think you miss the point.

You can go out right now, drive like an absolute idiot within the speed limit and you most likely will not be stopped.

Do 40mph down Penistone Rd thought and you will get a ticket.

That's the wrong way around.

---------- Post added 09-05-2016 at 21:53 ----------

I haven't missed any point. Unfortunately you will always get bad impatient aggressive licence holders, who normally are those that also speed! I drive for a living and see daily bad driving and speeders. I drive as professionally as I can at all times, even in the car.

In 'unfamiliar places' I am more observant obviously because I don't know the area ;) I have a clean licence and intend to keep it that way.

My company have dash cams fitted, we are also on trackers. Doesn't bother me in the slightest because I do things right.

Seen a few accidents and avoided some, I provided dash cam footage accordingly!

I could go on forever because driving is my life, I respect all road users!

If that's your opinion fair enough, cameras will never catch bad driving because they can't differentiate nor think!

More road policing is needed whether marked or unmarked. I've personally witnessed on numerous occasions over the years of bad driving in full view of fully liveried patrol cars :rolleyes: obvious proof they have no clue of their surroundings :loopy:

If that's your opinion fair enough, cameras will never catch bad driving because they can't differentiate nor think!

More road policing is needed whether marked or unmarked. I've personally witnessed on numerous occasions over the years of bad driving in full view of fully liveried patrol cars :rolleyes: obvious proof they have no clue of their surroundings :loopy:

Nor do cameras catch people who drive whilst holding and using mobile phones.

@Rudds1 I haven't seen any go off on the Southbound stretch, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

@Geared - yeah it could be a calibration test or whatever. They do seem to flash a lot more than I would expect.

@byeo thanks for finding more info on them.

At people arguing about speeding - that isn't what this thread is about. I speed every now and then, particularly after having been stuck in a traffic jam and needing to get to an appointment, it isn't pretty, but nor is the traffic on the M1 at times. When you leave at 8AM for a 10.30 meeting in Loughborough (normally arrive at Loughborough around 9.30 when I set off at 8AM) and get delayed by an hour for whatever reason you don't always have an option. And yes, I do leave even earlier if it is a critical meeting, but also yes - I've left at 6.30AM for a 9.30 meeting in the past and only just made it in time.

The good news is that the 4 lane section now flows an awful lot better than the old 3 lane did, so there is far less need to speed.

Checked last night as I was going down m1south bound and counted 7 sets of these cameras from j31 to 28

Checked last night as I was going down m1south bound and counted 7 sets of these cameras from j31 to 28

Ah right, I've seen them but not actually seen them go off yet, which is what I thought you referred to.