Speeding camera (M1 Northbound before J29)

85mph is the rumour that always seems to be knocking around.

I know of some one who has been done by these knd of cameras and he was doing 78

---------- Post added 05-05-2016 at 11:42 ----------

Just to inform people, there is a stationary and very much active camera on the Northbound M1 between Tibshelf Services and J29 (Chesterfield), it is positioned just off the side of a new matrix-sign frame (red/brown) that crosses the entire M1 and the camera is very active, I never drive the opposite direction without it flashing and I drive that stretch of road frequently.

There is also some of these cameras on the m1 south bound ,I watched it go off this morning

I know of some one who has been done by these knd of cameras and he was doing 78
Speed limit +/- 10% is 77, so if he was doing that speed actual, that sounds right.

85mph is the rumour that always seems to be knocking around.
If that's speedo, and your speedo overstates by 10% (77 actual>85 speedo), that'd be right as well.

Just to inform people, there is a stationary and very much active camera on the Northbound M1 between Tibshelf Services and J29 (Chesterfield), it is positioned just off the side of a new matrix-sign frame (red/brown) that crosses the entire M1 and the camera is very active, I never drive the opposite direction without it flashing and I drive that stretch of road frequently.

I saw this camera go off last Thursday evening, some guy looked to be doing about 80mph+ as he went past. Saw the flash from the left hand side, think I was doing about 75mph and didn't notice a flash but I guess time will tell. Very sneaky with the colour and placement but I guess that's the whole point although they will be painted yellow by October this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11995085/Stealth-speed-cameras-to-be-scrapped-government-announces.html

Edited by byeo

If it's newly installed it might just be testing??

When they first went up near Wakefield you'd always see them flashing away, but after about a fortnight they stopped.

Obviously they're still working, but I've probably only seen them go off once in a couple of months, whereas it was nearly everytime you went past them.

..“One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”

You'd think it would be obvious but the whinging speeding drivers on here blame everything but. They say it's a stealth tax or hidden camera rather than just simply boating the law like they should. :rant:

@Rudds1 I haven't seen any go off on the Southbound stretch, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

@Geared - yeah it could be a calibration test or whatever. They do seem to flash a lot more than I would expect.

@byeo thanks for finding more info on them.

At people arguing about speeding - that isn't what this thread is about. I speed every now and then, particularly after having been stuck in a traffic jam and needing to get to an appointment, it isn't pretty, but nor is the traffic on the M1 at times. When you leave at 8AM for a 10.30 meeting in Loughborough (normally arrive at Loughborough around 9.30 when I set off at 8AM) and get delayed by an hour for whatever reason you don't always have an option. And yes, I do leave even earlier if it is a critical meeting, but also yes - I've left at 6.30AM for a 9.30 meeting in the past and only just made it in time.

The good news is that the 4 lane section now flows an awful lot better than the old 3 lane did, so there is far less need to speed.

Speed limit +/- 10% is 77, so if he was doing that speed actual, that sounds right.

If that's speedo, and your speedo overstates by 10% (77 actual>85 speedo), that'd be right as well.

The ACPO guideline is 10%+2 though, not just 10%.

@Geared - yeah it could be a calibration test or whatever. They do seem to flash a lot more than I would expect.

They're bloody annoying at times, you're driving along and the one on the opposite carriageway go's off, the light is really bright so everyone on your side of the road see's it and slams on their brakes.