Speeding camera (M1 Northbound before J29)

So you can drive at 79mph before you get a ticket.

Not strictly true.

I remember once driving through the Nottingham stretch of the M1 at about 85MPH. There are cameras behind almost every gantry for a good 5 miles. Someone went past doing about 95 and got flashed, but I didn't.

They sure do work ,brother in law got done by them when they were between j28 to j31

That's good to know, obviously not for your brother in law though!

---------- Post added 05-05-2016 at 17:36 ----------

Not strictly true.

I remember once driving through the Nottingham stretch of the M1 at about 85MPH. There are cameras behind almost every gantry for a good 5 miles. Someone went past doing about 95 and got flashed, but I didn't.

Not sure this is right for all but usually the cameras are mirrored across both carriageways, so if you look at the back gantry on the opposite side of the motorway you can see if there is a camera or not. Best not to speed to be sure though.

Do the yellow cameras that do the average speed check in the 50 road work zones actually work? It's not that I'm worried for myself but often wonder if the people doing 70mph past me are going to be getting tickets!

Yes they do, they have a fairly high tolerance though, as long as you average 55-ish you are fine.

Not strictly true.

I often drive at 85 mph on the motorway and haven't yet been penalised, but I wonder about the new gantry cameras put up since they converted to four lanes. I usually slow down to 79 to go under those.

The Conservatives promised to introduce a 80 mph limit during the last parliament, but quietly dropped that proposal.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/sep/29/speed-limit-raised-80mph

Edited by Nagel

Yes they do, they have a fairly high tolerance though, as long as you average 55-ish you are fine.

Always wondered why most seemed to be overtaking me in the M1 50 limit when I was spot on 50 with the speedo.

Then I got a sat-nav and found that 50 on the speedo was showing 45 on the sat-nav, I wondered no more (2010 Astra)

..“One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”

I have a very limited vocabulary so did my best ! ;)

Always wondered why most seemed to be overtaking me in the M1 50 limit when I was spot on 50 with the speedo.

Then I got a sat-nav and found that 50 on the speedo was showing 45 on the sat-nav, I wondered no more (2010 Astra)

I set my cruise control to 56mph in the roadworks, it annoys me when someone goes flying past then hit the brakes when they see a camera.

The speed limits are ridiculous and were set when cars were totally different machines to what they are now, they are to rake money in no more no less.

Why are they stealth? They are positioned on the end of gantries in full view of traffic on that carriageway and not behind matrix signs like the older GATSO cameras are/were on that stretch of the M1.

The highways Agency have also said that motorway cameras will also be painted yellow like speed cameras on normal roads so they will be even more visible.

And also what is the issue with them working 24/7 and not just when the variable speed limit is in force?

Why are they stealth? They are positioned on the end of gantries in full view of traffic on that carriageway and not behind matrix signs like the older GATSO cameras are/were on that stretch of the M1.

The highways Agency have also said that motorway cameras will also be painted yellow like speed cameras on normal roads so they will be even more visible.

And also what is the issue with them working 24/7 and not just when the variable speed limit is in force?

I think it's due to the colour they are, going at 70mph or more it wont be too easy to spot, especially if you're not in the 1st lane and or it's busy and you're trying to concentrate on the traffic.

The majority of competent drivers are more than capable of driving overly the ridiculously low 70 limit and having to stick to that speed at certain times of night is ludicrous and only backed up by bitter non drivers and people who are not capable of driving at a reasonable speed and therefore shouldn't be on the road.