Speeding camera (M1 Northbound before J29)

Why are they stealth? They are positioned on the end of gantries in full view of traffic on that carriageway and not behind matrix signs like the older GATSO cameras are/were on that stretch of the M1.

The highways Agency have also said that motorway cameras will also be painted yellow like speed cameras on normal roads so they will be even more visible.

And also what is the issue with them working 24/7 and not just when the variable speed limit is in force?

What are the cameras (hidden) behind the matrix signs (over each lane) for then?

I do not mean the two stuck out at the side of the uprights as show on a photo in an earlier post.

What are the cameras (hidden) behind the matrix signs (over each lane) for then?

I do not mean the two stuck out at the side of the uprights as show on a photo in an earlier post.

They are to enforce the limit when signs are lshowing a reduced/ different speed limit and are only active when sped limit is reduced etc ,the other one are live regardless off weather a reduced limit is in place or not

The majority of competent drivers are more than capable of driving overly the ridiculously low 70 limit and having to stick to that speed at certain times of night is ludicrous and only backed up by bitter non drivers and people who are not capable of driving at a reasonable speed and therefore shouldn't be on the road.

The police disagree.

Surely the law of the land disagrees not the police, the police enforce the law.

Speed limits are left ridiculously low as police forces are making an absolute mint out of them, it will never change due to this, just don't come on here pretending thier about safety 'cos they aint.

Positioning of camera's particularly mobile ones should have to be justified before being used and speed limits should be assessed every 10yrs.

Theres a regular camera on Retford Rd in Handsworth that must be one of the most lucrative in the country, does anyone know if this was a particular accident blackspot and what the difference has been since the camera's use.

Speed limits are left ridiculously low as police forces are making an absolute mint out of them, it will never change due to this, just don't come on here pretending thier about safety 'cos they aint.

Positioning of camera's particularly mobile ones should have to be justified before being used and speed limits should be assessed every 10yrs.

Theres a regular camera on Retford Rd in Handsworth that must be one of the most lucrative in the country, does anyone know if this was a particular accident blackspot and what the difference has been since the camera's use.

BUT the police don't make the law.

Unless you can prove active lobbying by the police to retain a 70mph limit.

You can find plenty from the RAC and AA advocating safety, but none from the police.

I've been caught speeding numerous times and paid for it - the only thing that makes a speed camera lucrative is the idiot behind the wheel; like me.

I knew of two "safety" cameras -placed when positioning had to be a proven safety issue, both have now been removed. So obviously law breaking is the issue not safety.

---------- Post added 06-05-2016 at 12:56 ----------

I'm not sure what your point is?

Police put the cameras where they see fit, police tell you when you've triggered it.

The police are advised at the limit to set it i.e the speed limit. They can't enforce a 20 in a 50 zone. So therefore the law states 30,50 70 and the police enforce it. Pedantic perhaps but accurate.

I agree positioning is a matter between the police and council usually.

Police forces don't make money from speed limits, they also don't spend much time enforcing them and they most definitely don't decide on whether they are changed or not.

Fair comment, someones making money out of them though as its not ploughed back into the roads.