Shiregreen,Winkobank ,Ecclesfield

Timbuck

I've just obtained a book by BRYAN WOODRIFF..called SHIREGREEN,WINCOBANK & SHEFFIELD MEMORIES.."It's great" its all in old photographs and reminiscences by lots of Sheffielders..it even mentions me in it (just once)...but ther's a picture of our old house and lots of pictures of the whole Area from the Wicker to Sheffield Lane Top..Bellhouse road top to bottom both ways...Old Firth Park..Winkobank Castle..Keppels Collum and lots of the places and people I used to know so well.. and I understand ther's a second book out so I've ordered that one as well...

Alright then ...on page 9 line 13 my name Kenneth is quoted along with my mother Eva, sister Sheila,and younger brother Eric,

and a picture of our house in Shiregreen lane No 269 on page 94...if anyone wants a copy of this book I have a spare one due to a **** up with the Book company.

Thanks for reply Ken, the book you have is actually the second one published, I have the one entitled just Shiregreen Wincobank @ Ecclesfield. My mate in Sheffield, Ian Bilson has your copy, so I will have a peek on our next visit. Best regards, Malcolm Smith.

• 6 months later...

Sounds marvellous. Is it published by The Star newspaper, like the Images of Sheffield books? Your reference to Keppel's Column, near Scholes Coppice brought back memories of "Egging" as a schoolboy in the early seventies. I would never condone behaviour like this now, but we desperately wanted to get at the Kestrel's nest at the top of the column. We never did, which is just as well. Wincobank Castle? Was this situated at the top of Standon Road, Wincobank before the building of the estate consisting of an extension of the road, plus the Crescent and Drive? Or was it somewhere up Newman Road?

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Is Longley and Pitsmoor in that book by any chance Timbuck.

The Book takes you on a journey from Fitzalan square through the Wicker and follows the old 151 bus route to Shire green Up Rock St passed the Pitsmoor Church it shows the Pitsmoor National School in 1910 then up passed St Cuthberts on Owler Lane Corner and then Firth Park, it shows some photographs of the Brushes, Longly lane and Longly farm...The Book is published by Sutton Publishing LTD ISBN 0-7509-3038-1.

All good stuff what do think about it"Malc & Abdul" ?

Archived