Shiregreen,Winkobank ,Ecclesfield

Timbuck

Stevo,

Great posting, old bean. Mrs Hetherington was adorable, and actually lived on Newman Rd. She found my collection of snakes and crocodiles [toys] very amusing.

Was the Alan, my mate Alan Taylor? I remember being mates with John Holmes and Martin Hague in our favourite Scotswoman's class. Andy Glaves was good pals with Andy Hainsworth [short, with ginger hair]; they were a likeable pair. I also recall Graham Quinn being in my early class, and Mark Simmonite, Wayne Reynolds, Lesley Wilson and Debbie Budd.

You do sound as if you were a timid child, Stevo. British Bulldog wouldn't have been your scene, one suspects...

Wayne Reynolds is the only name that strikes my memory Timo. Again like yourself, I know the name, I just can't locate the face.

I was a teribbly timid child, although believe it or not, my brother David and myself were known as the best two fighters on our part of Standon Crescent!

I'm not so timid nowadys at 6'2" and 13 stone plus! Having said that I don't like violence of any kind.

:)

Pictures of your own house are now forming in my memory. I recall a semi detached (possibly detached) house of circa 1950 -60 build. The back door was down a drive or passageway on the left side of the building. Your house was situated just above or on the junction with Jedburgh Street. The houses above yoursa, going up the hill were much older. At the top of the hill an old guy owned what we always referred to as a bubble car (an Italian design) where the entrance to the car was through the front and the steering whell opened out with the door. Although I don't recall we were ever close friends, I do recall a short spell of time where I either called for you on the way to school, or walked home with you.

It may have been Alan Taylor, yes. Did he have a brother?

Stevo,

yes, the house sounds like ours. I think the kid would have been Alan Taylor, and he did have an older brother. I don't think you ever called for me, but we most probably DID walk home together. Let's face it, the info I conveyed to you privately MUST have come from you at some point. I make no claims to be psychic! You probably told me the story one afternoon, whilst we walked down Merton Lane, down Jardine Street and on to Jedburgh Street. In those days, my pal, there would be a Butchers on the corner of Fife Street and Jedburgh[with Maycock's field behind the Butchers, leading up to the banks of Hinde House]. We would have walked past old houses on Jedburgh Street [that were later demolished to make way for the new housing for the elderly], perhaps the Tandy family's German Shepherd dog would have barked at us as we made our way to the junction of Jedburgh and Standon Road. Here it would be, most probably, "See thee, Steve", as you made your way up Standon to home.

Nothing to do with Wincobank this, but when I moved to Filey as an 11 year old, I recall trying hard to make friends on my first day at school.

I said to one lad, "owdoo". He looked at me in amazed puzzlement and replied in a rather droll Filey accent, "Noothen".

We just stared at each other! He must have thought I was from Mars or something.

When I lived on Standon Crescent, my daily conversation was laced with thees, thous, thys, esscences, spice, togga (football) etc. I lost my accent at Filey, as it became obvious they didn't care much for see thee's as they call us (the inbreds! :hihi: )

Filonians still use expressions today to describe Sheffielders and other parts of Yorkshire.

'See thees' are from South Yorkshire

'Wessies' are from West Yorkshire

and Comforts can be either, because they always say "We've comfort week, old lad"

:hihi:

Me, I'm still a Wessie, which really rankles them. When I say I'm a Wessie, I generally end up having a discussion about Sheffield being in South Yorkshire and not West Yorkshire. However, the Sheffield I lived in used to be part of the West Riding of Yorkshire. I believe South Yorkshire came into being around 1974, one year after I'd departed.

Stevo,

We can thank Edward Heath for "South Yorkshire" in 74. I don't remember ever saying "Ow do" as a greeting. It was usually, "Alreet?". I used to describe things I liked/approved greatly of as "essence", and teachers were known as "tachers". "Togga" brought a smile to my face as I'd completely forgotten that one.

I was an Owdoo man myself. Alreight is said up here in North yorkshire also. One wise guy always replies (and I mean rather tiresomely ALWAYS)

"As far as a noo, til somebody tells me different"

Every time I see the guy I could slap myself, because I almost always allow an "Alright" to slip out!

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by timo

Sounds marvellous. Is it published by The Star newspaper, like the Images of Sheffield books? Your reference to Keppel's Column, near Scholes Coppice brought back memories of "Egging" as a schoolboy in the early seventies. I would never condone behaviour like this now, but we desperately wanted to get at the Kestrel's nest at the top of the column. We never did, which is just as well. Wincobank Castle? Was this situated at the top of Standon Road, Wincobank before the building of the estate consisting of an extension of the road, plus the Crescent and Drive? Or was it somewhere up Newman Road?

you went up jenkin turn right at the top up on the hill its self

deliverd milk there in 1944-5 and there was some cottages up there as well

Tara,

I only knew Andy Hainsworth , but he did mention "our George" to me when we were in the Infants together. I think Andy had several brothers and sisters. He was definately red-haired [ginger, to be honest], and a very good footballer ; terrier-like, fast and aggressive although of relatively small stature. I think the family did move to Firth Park too. Aside from the Infants, Andy was in the same year as me at Concord and Hinde House, but not the same class. Last saw him in the 80s at the then Limit Club, and he had the same likeable, cheeky expression. Bless him.

Archived