Eccy road pub crawl - ?

That sounds like a good crawl - tho I've never been to the Hammer, what's it like? My crawls of that nature usually start at the Banner Cross.

Its a decent pub particularly on a nice day with lots of seating outside.

The main bar maintains its traditional pub feel rather than being a food dominated area.

They do have plenty of screens with sport which may not be everyones cup of tea,service is always really good too.

So, we went to Beer Engine and were there for a fair while due to great beer and ambience. Sheaf Island , ok , and then a fair time in Portland House; decent BBC beer and OH happy with nice gin and convivial service. Then `ome1 Cheers

Just a plug for anyone doing this walk, to go slightly off track and take in the Porter Cottage also, especially if doing your walk on a Sunday , since there is some amazing free live music on now there on Sunday afternoons from around 4pm to 6pm. I happened on one last Sunday and a great session by the amazing music combo Treebeard taking in everything from Bob Dylans one more cup of coffee to Lemmys the Ace of Spades !. In spite of it being a very hot day , the pub was fairly busy and it would have been much more busy had it been a normal day weather wise. The pub stocks a reasonable choice of beer and is run by the ever pleasant and legendary landlady Mandy still.

It's quite possible to do quite a varied crawl down Eccy Rd these days.

Start at the Beer House - it actually does a decent gin range as well as beer. Porter Brook - quite a nice pub , if you can cope with Greene King tripe. Maybe have a walk around to the Porter Cottage or Lescar if you want something different.

Call in Craft and Dough - you'll get the impression they just want you to eat, but you can just stop for drinks there - though they will still want to seat you and give you table service. Pop up the road to the Cowshed (new name for Graze bar) - it's a bit funkier now and still serves decent beer. Then across the road to the Portland if you want to round off with a fair old real ale.

I wouldn't go in the Nursery - Botanical closed ages ago and I would probably avoid Champs unless she's a sports fan. So that makes it quite a long hike back up to Spoons. If you do want any more you could always make the (rather brave) walk up Frog Lane to the Stag instead. Then down to either the Broadfield or the Beer Engine. But make sure it isn't going to rain.

I approve! :thumbsup:

:D