Advice on alcoholic drunks harassing me/passers by

It didn't used to happen to anything like recent times.

It coincides with cuts to alcohol, drug and mental health services. People who voted for those cuts will obviously want to write it off as mere coincidence. It also coincides with SCC's decision to stop people directly accessing the two main homeless hostels and making them go via Howden House instead, I think that needs to be looked at as a possible contributory factor.

You're quite correct. The vast majority of those that we see give money to the Arundel drunks are freshers, mostly southern ones, not used to having aggressive drunks coming up to them. They pay them to leave them alone. It's absolutely unacceptable to have them intimidated on the streets like this, especially as they're new to the city and alone without family/friends.

The cash machine ones with dogs are particularly prevalent along West st., Division St., and near the McDonalds. Whilst they tend to be a lot more polite than the drunkards, its still not fair to have young girls, ladies and everyone else intimidated as they draw cash. Something has to be done.

The Div St Tesco security guard seems to spend the entirety of his shift having to stand outside guarding people as they draw cash, something the police should be sorting. Public safety isn't his job and he's being forced to endanger himself doing it.

I agree about them begging by cash machines.

This should be made illegal and enforced imo.

It coincides with cuts to alcohol, drug and mental health services. People who voted for those cuts will obviously want to write it off as mere coincidence. It also coincides with SCC's decision to stop people directly accessing the two main homeless hostels and making them go via Howden House instead, I think that needs to be looked at as a possible contributory factor.

It might coincide, but I don't think in this case there is any correlation.

This just makes you sounds more like a flapping lefty with a banner.

No one voted for cuts. People voted Labour out because they couldn't deal with finances.

Or should we write that off as coincidence again when they weren't voted in again last time?

Have you spoken to these people? The ones that pestered me, mostly have Scottish accents, unless I was miss-hearing.

I outlined my opinion of why they come here above.

It might coincide, but I don't think in this case there is any correlation

You think that cuts to those kinds of service will be consequence-free? Why do you think that? Why would reducing the support available to people with addictions and mental health problems not lead to those problems being exacerbated? You think reducing the number of cardiac units would have no impact on people with heart disease?

Have you spoken to these people? The ones that pestered me, mostly have Scottish accents, unless I was miss-hearing.

Street drinkers are a transient population, I don't see what their accents have to do with it. Previously, a homeless person from Scotland, Devon or London who tipped up in Sheffield (and they do) could go to Salvation Army or Bevin Court and have some chance of getting a room and the support they needed to improve their situation. Now they have to get filtered by SCC, a bureaucratic process that many won't go anywhere near - therefore it's reasonable to ask whether that's had an impact on street homelessness.

You think that cuts to those kinds of service will be consequence-free? Why do you think that? Why would reducing the support available to people with addictions and mental health problems not lead to those problems being exacerbated? You think reducing the number of cardiac units would have no impact on people with heart disease?

Street drinkers are a transient population, I don't see what their accents have to do with it. Previously, a homeless person from Scotland, Devon or London who tipped up in Sheffield (and they do) could go to Salvation Army or Bevin Court and have some chance of getting a room and the support they needed to improve their situation. Now they have to get filtered by SCC, a bureaucratic process that many won't go anywhere near - therefore it's reasonable to ask whether that's had an impact on street homelessness.

I think it's quite probable that SCC knew full well that making people go through this bureaucratic process would increase the problem of street homelessness.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 22:38 ----------

Ha! You've obviously never been to town mate. The people who are on the streets hassling this poor lady and everyone else obviously have no inhibitions anyway. I've been to other cities and it's nowhere near as bad as Sheffield.

We need to take action, take back the streets. Stop the bleeding hearts from donating money and feeding these scumbags. Shut down the drop in centre at the Cathedral. Burn them in their sleeping bags, that's what I say.

No one will invest in our city if it is overrun with scum!

What a peevish and mean minded person you must be to post this. I think what you've said is truly vile.

Edited by Mister M

:roll:

Did I say that?

People like you aren't worth spending my time arguing with. Wouldn't you fit better on Twitter or Sheffield Online on FB?

Night :)

It might coincide, but I don't think in this case there is any correlation.

Peter called the AA and explained that the car stopped running.

The AA asked a few questions including how much petrol there was left in the tank.

Petrol? said peter, it is in the bottom of the red zone but in this case I don't see any correlation to the problem.

Had a great day today looking out at the new uni building near the bookies. Bath Salts and his mates were hanging around on the corner near the steps down to forge getting wasted from midday. Every time a young girl tried to walk past they jumped out, arms outstretched and blocked their path. I can hear them all the way from my window demanding money from them. Most turned around and walked another way. The ones that got past they started verbally abusing and following.

Whilst there are homeless people that need help with alcohol issues, these people causing the problems in my area ARE NOT HOMELESS. They have plenty of money to get <Removed> all day and then they go home to get some rest before the next day of vicious, drunken harassment. My ex once saw a group of them being dropped off around 10am from a land rover. It's so tiring to hear the monotonous and repetitive 'you should feel sorry for them, lets spend more money on them' from people who have no clue. People who have never lived with them, experienced the <Removed> we have to put up with daily. They aren't homeless. They aren't poor. They aren't interested in employment or sobriety. The police tell us as much every time we call them out. They all have fixed addresses and income from benefits which they spend on alcohol. But yeah, the police are lying. Our personal experiences are wrong. They're drunk, vicious, violent thugs because of budget cuts....

EDIT:

Just took my bins out. Surprise surprise there's a group of five of them sat on our building doorstep, refusing to move. What does each have in their hand. That's right, a £1 can of 8% Orangeboom. All utterly wasted. Blocking the doorway, refusing to move. Lets see how long the police take to move them today...

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing.

Had a great day today looking out at the new uni building near the bookies. Bath Salts and his mates were hanging around on the corner near the steps down to forge getting wasted from midday. Every time a young girl tried to walk past they jumped out, arms outstretched and blocked their path. I can hear them all the way from my window demanding money from them. Most turned around and walked another way. The ones that got past they started verbally abusing and following.

Whilst there are homeless people that need help with alcohol issues, these people causing the problems in my area ARE NOT HOMELESS. They have plenty of money to get <Removed> all day and then they go home to get some rest before the next day of vicious, drunken harassment. My ex once saw a group of them being dropped off around 10am from a land rover. It's so tiring to hear the monotonous and repetitive 'you should feel sorry for them, lets spend more money on them' from people who have no clue. People who have never lived with them, experienced the <Removed> we have to put up with daily. They aren't homeless. They aren't poor. They aren't interested in employment or sobriety. The police tell us as much every time we call them out. They all have fixed addresses and income from benefits which they spend on alcohol. But yeah, the police are lying. Our personal experiences are wrong. They're drunk, vicious, violent thugs because of budget cuts....

Iv seen this myself it doesn't look good for the city another problem is the bus station just down the road unless you going the other way towards the market you can't really avoid them. In my deleted post I posted if they started on people like me I wouldn't stand a chance . Its time something is done its simply not fair on people .

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing.