Advice on alcoholic drunks harassing me/passers by

Interesting article from Sheffield Online.

Looks like the police admit there is a problem or problems but not go so far as to say its a no go area.

Yesterday I witnessed police actively search one of them, check ID etc. near cathedral.

They are probably violently harassing because people are not giving them any money. If they had money they get alcohol or drugs and leave people alone while they are tripping.

If nobody would give them any money they still need to recover from their addictions and possibly find a different way to face their emotional issues. This is not likely to happen without professional support and the willingness of the patient.

Without money and without treatment they will become more violent harassing to get what they need to survive.

I reckon many of them would have committed suicide if they had not started drinking.

Alcohol is a depressive drug and increases greatly the risk of suicide.

They are probably violently harassing because people are not giving them any money. If they had money they get alcohol or drugs and leave people alone while they are tripping.

If nobody would give them any money they still need to recover from their addictions and possibly find a different way to face their emotional issues. This is not likely to happen without professional support and the willingness of the patient.

Without money and without treatment they will become more violent harassing to get what they need to survive.

I reckon many of them would have committed suicide if they had not started drinking.

What is your suggestion then? To give them enough money to keep their habit (and eventually keep increasing the dosage)? Also, they are violent while sober AND drunk. Actually, they are more reckless while drunk.

What is your suggestion then? To give them enough money to keep their habit (and eventually keep increasing the dosage)? Also, they are violent while sober AND drunk. Actually, they are more reckless while drunk.

You asked for a suggestion but my suggestion is only possible if you have reached a point where you are capable of seeing things without reacting to them. Consciousness and awareness are needed to understand this suggestion.

I suggest when a drunk is harassing solve the problem by not taking it personal.

You asked for a suggestion but my suggestion is only possible if you have reached a point where you are capable of seeing things without reacting to them. Consciousness and awareness are needed to understand this suggestion.

I suggest when a drunk is harassing solve the problem by not taking it personal.

I don't know why my comment has been removed (mod, please explain) but I'll try to rephrase what I wrote:

I've already reached that point - I don't react to them, I don't take harassing personal and actually I can't be less personal, since I don't care about their lives at all.

There are lots of good suggestions here on how to deal with the alcoholics, the two prominent ones being a) don't give them any money and b) contact the police whilst the threatening behaviour is taking place. No person should, under any circumstances, have to put up with this. And the city of Sheffield, trying to welcome visitors, should not.

One person mentioned street patrollers prior to 2010 who did a good job of clearing the streets, but were dispensed with due to budget constraints.

Seems like they should be brought back and the Council directed to find the money found to support them.

These patrollers(or police) should remove the harassing drunks/drug addicts. And warned, three removals, and you are out. ie. after three, you are taken to a recognized facility to "Dry out" for however long it takes This would be mandatory not voluntary, due to their public behavior. Be a lot less money to do this, than for LT hospital care with liver/heart/kidney associated problems

If they come back with the same public behaviour after treatment, then it would be time in jail and more drying out time