The Jam 2006 megathread

The Jam '06

I disagree, i didn't see a single flyer or poster leading up to the event, and none of my friends had any idea it was on.

Ann Savage alone could have sold out most of the clubs in Sheffield.

I'd have to say I'm siding more with sheffieldism on this - the DJ line-up was very unoriginal and misguided if it attempted to be populist. Just sticking a few niche genre-DJs alongside 83 hours of funky house (not funky. not actually house. not even f***ing music) does not a well-rounded event make. Originally I self-censored my post as I deemed it unnecessarily negative, especially as it preceded the event. I'm not sure whether Ann Savage DJing could sell out most, if any, of the clubs in Sheffield these days (although there certainly are locals who could), but again, all of this is really down to promotion. An event like this should attempt to showcase variety and aim to be inclusive, and the programming of the DJ line-up should reflect this in terms of eclecticism and originality. Wo ist das?

The lack of accessibility for families with children to the indoor events is a massive oversight. I've just been mulling this over and really don't know the intricacies of licensing (or, in fact, any) laws - surely there must be some kind of waiver that could have been arranged - what about pubs that allow kids etc.?

I disagree, i didn't see a single flyer or poster leading up to the event, and none of my friends had any idea it was on.

Ann Savage alone could have sold out most of the clubs in Sheffield.

It wasn't as promoted as it should have been, but to be honest I wouldn't have put my name anywhere near promoting that event so it's not suprising. It still doesn't make up for the poor organisation.

I couldn't really stand any of the DJ's. Not my scene but I did pop in a few times to see what was happening and it was pretty dead most of the day in there.

I told to of my colleagues here at work what I did at the weekend and they didn't know anything about it. They watch loads of live bands around town. They were well gutted they missed it but I told them they didn't miss much.

I can't believe the bands chosen were the best of all the entrants. Someone told me both Rise To Addiction and Existend had entered but didn't qualify :o

So Rise To Addiction who played to 20,000 people last year could not get a gig at the Jam? Hmmm

Me thinks it was 'No Rock Zone' evening.

I agree there should have been more variety both in the dj bar and on the stage outside.

However, none of it would have mattered as the event would still have had the same poor promotion.

I've seen busier pubs on a wednesday afternoon.

I agree there should have been more variety both in the dj bar and on the stage outside.

However, none of it would have mattered as the event would still have had the same poor promotion.

I've seen busier pubs on a wednesday afternoon.

yeah your right, the crowd looked so ****** of too, as if they were forced to be there - maybe they were all friends of the promoters, there to make the numbers up ;) or just to make the numbers!

unfortunately i must have missed that one, id have been down with listening to some minimal. But once hearing "Finally" coming from the speakers that was enough to send me outside. did anyone rate any of the bands that played?

Depends which version...if it's the horrible mash-up with Love Story by Layo and Bushwacka as popularized by daytime Radio 1 - yes: it truly is satan's arse. Surely a professional bootleg/mash-up might take into account things like: being in the right key, the rhythm of the lyrics, suitability etc.

Whereas if it's the original or (bless) Danny Krivit's re-edit of the Kings of Tomorrow original, then it's actually one of the greatest NYC garage records ever. Fact.

Must say I wouldn't have minded seeing Kassien actually (who were the reason I removed my orginal preceding-the-event negative post), maybe I should make an effort to get down to the bedroom.

Archived