The Jam 2006 megathread

The Jam '06

So Rise To Addiction who played to 20,000 people last year could not get a gig at the Jam? Hmmm

If they've played to 20,000 people why would they want to play to a handful of students in Sheffield? They got the same treatment as everyone else who applied, they got considered and a yay or nay.

I'm glad that past experience wasn't a factor in getting picked. I know Flaming Pitchforks are a young band who have played only a handful of gigs. Should they have been left out because they've not played to thousands of people?

Unfortunately guys, and especially for any one who was at the hallam jam, It was not the essential original or danny krivit re edit of KOT Finally. It was a bootleg with Rune's Calabria. It was awful and i could not understand why these dj's were booked. Is this what sheffield has to offer???

Respect to Kassien tho, for their minimal house set. Disappointing they were on so early.

Ok I know I’ll be accused of been biased here cos Kassien are our residents, but I know how hard they worked to put together a set especially for The Hallam Jam. In an attempt to sound fresh and original their set was well planned with 10 or so tracks that had been released within the last month.

I can only say I was disappointed by the other dj’s who were given an opportunity to play at such an event and play music that we’ve heard time and time again.

It’s a shame Kassien were on so early.

Depends which version...if it's the horrible mash-up with Love Story by Layo and Bushwacka as popularized by daytime Radio 1 - yes: it truly is satan's arse. Surely a professional bootleg/mash-up might take into account things like: being in the right key, the rhythm of the lyrics, suitability etc.

Whereas if it's the original or (bless) Danny Krivit's re-edit of the Kings of Tomorrow original, then it's actually one of the greatest NYC garage records ever. Fact.

Must say I wouldn't have minded seeing Kassien actually (who were the reason I removed my orginal preceding-the-event negative post), maybe I should make an effort to get down to the bedroom.

Jackmaster J is right, funky house appeals to alot of people i know, but dj's can be creative with their sets. I dont go to clubs to hear music that has been around for 3 years, i want to hear fresh new music and hear a dj play a set with some personality in it. Though Hallam Jam was supposed to be different and upfront!!!!!! 2 words..........DIS APPOINTING

Ok I know I’ll be accused of been biased here cos Kassien are our residents, but I know how hard they worked to put together a set especially for The Hallam Jam. In an attempt to sound fresh and original their set was well planned with 10 or so tracks that had been released within the last month.

I can only say I was disappointed by the other dj’s who were given an opportunity to play at such an event and play music that we’ve heard time and time again.

It’s a shame Kassien were on so early.

I missed Kassien unfortunately, as I didn't even realise the event was on until a friend called me at about 4:30 !

I have to say I had a great day. All the bands weren't quite to my taste, but the event overall was fun. A couple I thought were really good. Can't complain at an event like that for nothing. Enjoyed Ann Savage loads. Overall, worth going, and thanks for the water-proofing and CDs given away!

Ok, well I was the DJ coordinator for this years’ Hallam Jam Festival, and I must say, I am surprised at the amount of negativity there seems to be on this forum.

Firstly, the festival is created from the help of volunteer students, the budget we have been working with has been minimal and out of that minimal budget, the DJ Arena got little. I personally think the DJ line up was fantastic, it offered something for everyone, Electronica, Beats, Funky House, Up-Lifting Trance and Hard House.

While I was the co-ordinator, and while the Hallam Jam DJ’s were playing, no cheese was played. So you are mistaken, J-Blaze and CherryNicole.

The DJ’s who played, like the bands, got paid nothing. All the DJ’s are professional, some having their own nights and residencies. They gave up a bank holiday to help out at a festival, which not only is free to get into, but is also aimed towards the community.

International superstar DJ Anne Savage was fantastic, and for her to take time out and bother to do a gig like this, in my opinion, is very kind indeed.

J-Blaze, you were being negative even when I first posted the advert looking for DJ’s, a few months ago. I see you are still giving off the same impression.

The people who came up to me yesterday said the day was brilliant.

Ok, music is a very personal thing, but from a “clubbing” point of view, the music played was spot on. Started off chilled out, then went funky, into more harder, then finally, ended with Anne’s trademark Hard House.

I did not work on publicity, officially, however, I did help out, as much as I could, in between writing my dissertation and all my other Uni projects.

And fox20thc, you asked me yesterday, I asked the licensee, and she said no. There is nothing I or anyone else could do. The DJ area was not really a place for young children, lots of drunk people around and very loud music.

Archived