The Rich get richer, much richer1

I think I've just disproven the basic premise of his argument though. The Gini coefficient in the UK isn't going up, it's been stable for two decades.

Wealth inequality might be a different question, but that's not what he's talking about.

Unfortunately, for ordinary people here in Sheffield, in the UK and across the globe, the reality is that the so-called 'trickledown' notion is entirely dependent upon a fair and robust tax system and effective regulatory mechanisms, precisely those aspects that have been neutralised by neoliberal policy.

I think the fact that Sorrell is liable to pay 38,000x more tax than the poor ickle care worker shows perfectly well how the tickle down is working.

What sort of hole in the public purse do you think we would have if rich people like Sorrell didn't put their money on the line and create these profitable businesses.

It is important to note that ECCOnoob writes 'Sorrell is liable to pay ... more tax' rather than pays more tax. Another name for a tax haven is secrecy jurisdiction. Those front line care workers pay their tax. Who knows what tax arrangements Martin Sorrell exploits?

Here is a fascinating section from a Times report on 29 March 2016:

'A multimillion-pound Revenue & Customs publicity campaign to stamp out tax evasion and avoidance used an advertising agency ultimately controlled in an offshore haven.

HMRC spent more than £6 million on the campaigns, including £300,000 specifically on offshore evasion.

Among the agencies used was TNS, a research agency, whose ultimate parent company and controlling party is WPP, the world’s biggest advertising company which is incorporated in Jersey and was founded by Sir Martin Sorrell, the billionaire tycoon.'

This article shows how neoliberal government and big business operate among themselves - note the article links taxpayers footing the enormous bill payable to a Jersey incorporated (i.e. tax avoiding) multinational company that is a subsidiary of Sorrell's empire. 'A nice little earner', as they say! The 'poor ickle' care worker has ultimately paid for a big fat profit enjoyed by Mr Sorrell and his executive associates. We pay, they win.

It is important to note that ECCOnoob writes 'Sorrell is liable to pay ... more tax' rather than pays more tax. Another name for a tax haven is secrecy jurisdiction. Those front line care workers pay their tax. Who knows what tax arrangements Martin Sorrell exploits?

Here is a fascinating section from a Times report on 29 March 2016:

'A multimillion-pound Revenue & Customs publicity campaign to stamp out tax evasion and avoidance used an advertising agency ultimately controlled in an offshore haven.

HMRC spent more than £6 million on the campaigns, including £300,000 specifically on offshore evasion.

Among the agencies used was TNS, a research agency, whose ultimate parent company and controlling party is WPP, the world’s biggest advertising company which is incorporated in Jersey and was founded by Sir Martin Sorrell, the billionaire tycoon.'

This article shows how neoliberal government and big business operate among themselves - note the article links taxpayers footing the enormous bill payable to a Jersey incorporated (i.e. tax avoiding) multinational company that is a subsidiary of Sorrell's empire. 'A nice little earner', as they say! The 'poor ickle' care worker has ultimately paid for a big fat profit enjoyed by Mr Sorrell and his executive associates. We pay, they win.

How much does this care worker earn? Would you like to hazard a gues and we can calculate whether he/she his a net contributor or a net drain (financially of course) on the economy.

The payment to care workers is only possible because people pay taxes to support them through their local council or whoever funds them.

The payment to care workers is only possible because people pay taxes to support them through their local council or whoever funds them.

It doesn't matter how many times RonJeremy tries to pretend that tax avoidance is not an issue, it is!

The strategy that supporters of neoliberalism employ when people point this out is simply to muddy the waters, distract, and engage in quibbles.

Don't be fooled.

And notice that RonJeremy is not arguing with me, he's arguing with press reports in the Daily Mail, The Times and the BBC.

I am simply connecting the issues and drawing attention to the endless scandal.

Using a foreign company to provide services isn't an example of tax avoidance though.

If I buy something from a German company, do you think they're avoiding UK tax by being based in Germany?

Do you think that affects anything if the owner is based in the UK with regards to her income?

Using a foreign company to provide services isn't an example of tax avoidance though.

If I buy something from a German company, do you think they're avoiding UK tax by being based in Germany?

Do you think that affects anything if the owner is based in the UK with regards to her income?

Another example of quibbles and distraction.

It is no longer possible to dispute the vast scale of tax avoidance. Every tabloid newspaper has featured the issue, the BBC and independent broadcasters have screened documentaries on the theme. And teachers, nurses, police officers, social workers, prison officers and care workers all know just how devastating the cuts to services have been.

Do not be fooled, tax avoidance and cuts are opposite sides of the same coin.

Another example of quibbles and distraction.

It is no longer possible to dispute the vast scale of tax avoidance. Every tabloid newspaper has featured the issue, the BBC and independent broadcasters have screened documentaries on the theme. And teachers, nurses, police officers, social workers, prison officers and care workers all know just how devastating the cuts to services have been.

Do not be fooled, tax avoidance and cuts are opposite sides of the same coin.

Quibbles and distraction?

You claimed that inequality was going up and the Gini coefficient says it isn't. How about you stop quibbling and address that?