The Rich get richer, much richer1

..........."contentment is wealth"! maybe that's the wake up call that people need to realize not just imagine!..........available to anyone!

By the way nearly everyone has a debt funded lifestyle in this country now in some form or other!

I do believe you are utterly misquoting Socrates. He did write:

"Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty

The Bible puts a succinct spin on things:

'The rich rule over the poor,

and the borrower is slave to the lender.'

Proverbs 22:7

Enjoy your debt slavery mossdog, especially as you contentedly argue for more.

I do believe you are utterly misquoting Socrates. He did write:

"Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty

The Bible puts a succinct spin on things:

'The rich rule over the poor,

and the borrower is slave to the lender.'

Proverbs 22:7

Enjoy your debt slavery mossdog, especially as you contentedly argue for more.

So if I earn 50k pa, I buy a house on a mortgage of 150k I'm therefore in debt and therefore a slave and poor?

LOL

Tory darling Martin Sorrell's 'pay packet for last year [rose] to around £68.5million' (Daily Mail).

Sir Martin Sorrell, chief executive of advertising group WPP, will take home up to £70million in salary and bonuses for last year… The colossal sum is certain to reignite public anger over boardroom pay. The payout represents a 63 per cent increase on the £43million he was awarded last year and means Sorrell [enjoyed] in excess of a staggering £190,000 a day in 2015' (Mail on Sunday).

However, in the context of a number of CEOs acknowledging misgivings over the size of their remuneration packages in the face of shareholder revolts, the 'boss of giant advertising firm WPP says he is not ashamed by the success of the company which has seen him pocket around £70million' (Daily Mail).

Meanwhile:

More than a quarter of care homes in the UK are in danger of going out of business within three years, figures obtained by BBC Radio Four suggest.

The title of my original post was 'The Rich get richer, much richer' , implying that the poor get poorer too, much poorer.

George Osbourne was fond of repeating 'we're all in this together'. Such a claim has been shown to be a lie. Sorrell enjoyed a remuneration package in 2014-15 of over £20,000 an hour: a care worker in one of those threatened care homes, £6.70.

However, the kernel of my argument with Martin Sorrell is not specifically related to the level of his his remuneration package, grotesque as that is, but that he proclaimed that he is not ashamed of his astonishing level of income, as reported in the Daily Mail. This proclamation, I suggest, was made in the context of a number of high earning CEOs expressing some unease at their high remuneration awards. Sorrell is a beligerent exponent of neoliberal doctrine, and wishes to encourage his fellow CEOs to exploit the system without shame, to enrich themselves whilst millions are forced into hardship, as the news reporting the fact that 5000 care homes are facing a funding crisis amply demonstrates, that some of the most frail and vulnerable members of our community face devastating circumstances as continuing austerity cuts and the ever more aggressive implementation of a failed economic doctrine destroys the very foundations of our services.

My favoured options would include a robust tax system, strong regulation and a fully funded public sector.

Neoliberalism implements the opposite: public sector cuts (as we have seen across the UK since the coalition government of 2010), privatisation of public services, which is happening around us at an ever increasing rate and which means that executive remuneration trumps service provision, and deregulation, along with a systematic assault on the tax system.

My favoured options would include a robust tax system, strong regulation and a fully funded public sector.

Neoliberalism implements the opposite: public sector cuts (as we have seen across the UK since the coalition government of 2010), privatisation of public services, which is happening around us at an ever increasing rate and which means that executive remuneration trumps service provision, and deregulation, along with a systematic assault on the tax system.

Back to the poverty of the 70s then. Brilliant.

Didn't really answer the question though did it. None of your three points would do anything to Sorrell or your nursing homes going out of business unless you actually want to expand upon your ideas.

So if I earn 50k pa, I buy a house on a mortgage of 150k I'm therefore in debt and therefore a slave and poor?

LOL

The mortgage is just the start. To be the best Ron you can possibly be you might get the car and holidays on tick. Maybe a car on tick for Mrs Ron as well. Plus a few credit cards, and a loan to build a conservatory where you can lounge in your y-fronts.

It builds up. Before you know it you're trapped in the job with maybe no savings and you're a couple of paydays away from the gutter.

But you will be content I guess, and feel more wealthy for it.

What is your definition of wealth Ron?

... a total change in the way money is created.

A radical reform of education (making sure to support teachers and minimise the impact upon them).

A total change in foreign policy to ensure that businesses operating in the UK do not exploit labour and resources in other countries.

Urgent, responsible environmental action.

There are many changes... to many to document.

However, until, or unless, ordinary people begin to challenge the power and influence of the privileged political class, then social justice and human flourishing will remain a dream, while greed, contempt and exploitation will continue to characterise the basis of business and government.

So is equality all about making rich people poorer, so poor people don't feel so poor? That'll help all those minimum wage care workers I'm sure.

Not once have you mentioned the idea of increasing salaries for the lowest paid. Deliberate?