The Rich get richer, much richer1

Go back and read what you posted.

They do generally know your location ;) but I guess we all operate under the same capitalist system, the UK is in the top quarter/half of the inequality scale.

Inequality in the UK has not risen in the last 30 years. It is not rising. Rising means going up, now. Not, went up 35 years ago.

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 12:44 ----------

Google thinks it has, if you search for - 'Income inequality', the result is below.

"Income inequality refers to the extent to which income is distributed in an uneven manner among a population. In the United States, income inequality, or the gap between the rich and everyone else, has been growing markedly, by every major statistical measure, for some 30 years."

Just in case you missed my point, I bolded it for you.

In the case of care homes, you might want to look into the ever-growing small forest Everest of rules and regulations setting out staffing qualifications and levels, building configuration and equipment requirements, and procedural systems that are all required to ensure statutory and liability insurance compliance.

And, whilst on that topic, insurance premium levels as well, particularly in the wake of the recent whistleblown scandals about some extraordinarily sub-par nursing homes. I talked about all this last Sunday with the manager of a care home in which my M-I-L's partner recently became a resident due to ill health. I thought our (legal) professional liability insurance was high...Jaysus, how wrong could I be!

"£650 per week" makes a nice headline figure to focus on, so much for the rent-a-shouters as seen on here, as for insufficiently-inexperienced owners-investors. But there's barely any fat in that (if any, subject to location and fill rate) once you're finished toting up the real cost of doing that particular business currently.

True as well. A case of privileging a short-term capital gain over the longevity and stability of the business (which strongly suggests, not to say dictates, that the ownership of the property should vest in the business rather than a third party).

Are insurance companies at this level not generally a part of the banking system? (genuine question)

Also is it true that, as with PFI, companies can up the repayments and/or alter the terms of the lease when it comes up for renewal?

As for ownership of care homes, are the small, often more personal and caring, independent ones who have little chance of complying with all the new regs etc, being forced out of business or being taken over, leaving the field clear for the big companies?

Are insurance companies at this level not generally a part of the banking system? (genuine question)

Also is it true that, as with PFI, companies can up the repayments and/or alter the terms of the lease when it comes up for renewal?

As for ownership of care homes, are the small, often more personal and caring, independent ones who have little chance of complying with all the new regs etc, being forced out of business or being taken over, leaving the field clear for the big companies?

If they're good, they'll stay open as there won't be empty beds, and if they want they can charge more if they're really good.

Even the big chains vary hugely (in my experience anyway) from home to home.

Inequality in the UK has not risen in the last 30 years. It is not rising. Rising means going up, now. Not, went up 35 years ago.

Professor Dorling does not agree.

In his Beveridge Memorial Lecture to The Royal Statistical Society, Sheffield University's Danny Dorling says the richest one per cent of people in the UK take home fifteen per cent of all income, compared to 6% in 1979. Perhaps you attended the event?

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jun/27/century-income-inequality-statistics-uk

I'm curious. Those arguing for action to be taken on income inequality.

You may or may not accept that such action would reduce the standard of living at the bottom end of the income scale. But just assume for a moment that it would (as it actually would).

How much of a reduction in the standard of living of the poorest are you willing to tolerate in order to improve income inequality?

I'm curious. Those arguing for action to be taken on income inequality.

You may or may not accept that such action would reduce the standard of living at the bottom end of the income scale. But just assume for a moment that it would (as it actually would).

How much of a reduction in the standard of living of the poorest are you willing to tolerate in order to improve income inequality?

There has already been a big reduction in the standard of living of the poorest, or haven't you been paying attention? The bedroom tax, the squeeze on the disabled, the reduction in services that poorer people tend to rely on, and the lack of decent care for the elderly to name but a few

The austerity cuts have been proved to have had the greatest affect on the already poor.

Meanwhile the rich have got richer to the tune of billions, and it sure isn't from working harder. Ask yourself; how have they manage to do this?

Meanwhile the rich have got richer to the tune of billions, and it sure isn't from working harder. Ask yourself; how have they manage to do this?

no - you tell us please -maybe they are that bit smarter than the average joe, work harder get lucky - you won't get away with simply making bold statements like that without backing it up with evidence

There has already been a big reduction in the standard of living of the poorest, or haven't you been paying attention? The bedroom tax, the squeeze on the disabled, the reduction in services that poorer people tend to rely on, and the lack of decent care for the elderly to name but a few

The austerity cuts have been proved to have had the greatest affect on the already poor.

During a recession and state debt crisis. You do surprise me.

Look at the long term trend.

Don't think I didn't notice that you failed to answer the question.

Not by working harder alone, but by acquiring more valuable skills.