Tories in trouble over election fraud

Guest sibon
Does that go for tax returns as well?

Well, we wont be finding out whether Mrs May has filled her latest tax return in accurately. At least Corbyn was willing to publish his.

As for the fine on the party, it seems pretty ok to me, as long as it is followed up with some prosecutions of those responsible.

It just seems odd that's all the outrage which was conspicuously missing from the thread here... http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11516399#post11516399

UB seemed a little outraged:

This is the biggest fine the electoral commission has ever issued. If this was a mistake, then it demonstrates massive incompetence.

It's a very good job they lost the election, otherwise you could be looking at an illegitimate government.

Next time any Labour supporters feel like making wild allegations of corruption against their opponents, we shall remind them of this.

---------- Post added 16-03-2017 at 18:25 ----------

They've now been fined just £70,000 for electoral fraud. What a pathetic penalty. They are potentially in power as a majority government and get a pocket change fine. What message does that send to anyone else wanting to try it in the future? 'Carry on old boy, you'll only have to cancel your golf membership to cover the costs.'

Did I hear that that was the maximum fine?

But it is not over yet: that fine was from the electoral commission, the police have yet to complete their criminal investigation...

Though I am very puzzled as to why it has taken so long, even allowing for the fact that they didn't start looking until after C4 journalists had already done the job.