Toledo Steel

I am trying to trace my ancestors and have reason to believe that John Henry Andrew was my great grandfather - died in 1884. He owned Toledo Works ( J H Andrew & Co )back in the late 1800's. Does anyone know where I can get more info about him and his family? Does J H Andrew & Co still exist? I did find out that Arthur Kitching (artist) worked for the company in 1940 but have exhausted all the search engines on the net.

Ask in the Local studies bit in the main library - they're great in there, very helpful, and they can tell you where to look in the census records, street directories etc. There's lots of stuff in there. Also, try getting in touch with the Sheffield Sites and Monuments Record (look up Sheffield or South Yorkshire SMR on the net), they keep all sorts of information on sites and buildings in and around Sheffield, so tell them the name of the works, and if they can't help you then they'll probably be able to put you on to someone who can. Let us know how you get on! Spiky x

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

My Grandfather Ray Hirst worked there most of his life. He took me on a visit in his last week of work. I would guess that this was the late 60's. I still have strong memories of the heat and ear bleeding noise. Health and safety was not a high priority. Grandad was very deaf and suffered from industrial asthma. He was very proud of Toledos and often told me that the steel from there was in the Brooklyn Bridge. I have a few old documents eg Christmas cards given in 1929 and 1930 , along with an old trade directory and aerial photo of the factory in C1970. I'm new to the forum so don't know how to upload them.

My family had a beer off and grocery on Neepsend lane on the corner of Farfield rd. This was opposite Andrews Toledo works. They did a great business selling sandwiches, and filling the tea canisters for the workers there. The shop was torn down around 1971.