Engine oil - Halfords, or branded?

Cheers , mine does say "VW 507 00" which is what this oil also specifies.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 11:31 ----------

Just for my own understanding, can you please elaborate?

Are there any more ratings to an oil other than what "5W-30" specifies?

I've also noticed that the Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 has different types like A5, C3 and C2. Do you know what these are?

Theres a lot of fluff being posted on these forums about what things mean.

ACEA is the association constructures european automobiles. The ACEA ratings are a series of codes for A (petrol) and B(diesel) engines.

If a car specifies a number, you must use an oil that is the same or higher number. So a petrol car may specify A3, so you can use A3 A4 A5 or you can also use B3 B4 B5 oils. Diesels cannot use petrol oils, so a B1 engine needs any B series oil but cannot use an A series oil.

Certain makes of cars alos require their own specification that is generally above and beyond the ACEA A and B numbers. These are for long life extended drain oils, OR for diesel cars with particulate filters. You must find an oil that meets the makers number.

Halfords fully synth oil does meet the VW 507 00 specification as far as I can tell (without having a bottle here to look at that is.)

Cheaper oils generally dont protect for as long. A quality oil will stay in specification longer, especially a long life oil. So Carlube ACEA A3/B3 oil is good for say 6,000 miles. The Castrol version is perhaps good for 20,000 miles.

Ultimately if you need a long life oil and your engine specifies it like VW 507 00 you must use it. IF you dont buy the cheapest reputable oil that meets the ACEA guidelines. If it's a really cheap oil - it could be fake. Do you trust them when they say they meet ACEA B5? That's going to cost them perhaps £3 a litre to make. You wont buy that for £10 for five litre jug - it'll be fake oil.

Halfords oil is good. If it meets the spec use it. Change it when the service indicator or schedule says. Everything else is just marketing and fancy labels that push up the price.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 18:22 ----------

When are you planning your next oil change? I'd go with TripleQX for now.

QX is a decent oil and usually a good price. Gets my vote.

I run a courier business most of my vans are high millage some with well over 200k on the clock,I always use the correct oil stated by the viehecle manufacturers and change the filters at the time stated by the manufactures..I've got a Bipper that has over 280k on the cloak Its been serviced regularly and well looked after mainly using carlube products from the local bullseye shop and it still runs well..

Edited by Shogun

Theres a lot of fluff being posted on these forums about what things mean.

Everything else is just marketing and fancy labels that push up the price.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 18:22 ----------

QX is a decent oil and usually a good price. Gets my vote.

Cheers - very informative post :)

I run a courier business most of my vans are high millage some with well over 200k on the clock,I always use the correct oil stated by the viehecle manufacturers and change the filters at the time stated by the manufactures..I've got a Bipper that has over 20080k on the cloak Its been serviced regularly and well looked after mainly using carlube products from the local bullseye shop and it still runs well..

20080k = 20,080,000 = 20+ million miles? you sure?

That's the wrong emphasis though.

If you want your engine to last twice as long you would be better to put cheaper but correct grade oil twice a year or more. This gets rid of the pollutants and microscopic bits which have landed in the oil. Just buying the most expensive oil will only make 2 or 3% of difference to the wear of your engine it is false economy.

Twenty years ago I would have agreed with you absolutely. But these days we have oils which have an extremely long life, negating the need for regular oil changes.

A good few years ago we bought an Isuzu 4x4 new, after 12 months when the free servicing stopped, I changed the oil and filter myself every 3/4 months. We had it a good few years, and it had great oil pressure when we sold it.

Angel1.

Twenty years ago I would have agreed with you absolutely. But these days we have oils which have an extremely long life, negating the need for regular oil changes.

That doesn't apply to all cars though. Take the horrible 1.6 110bhp diesel engine fitted to Peugeots, Fords and a few other marques (DW10TED?). Peugeot recommend service intervals of 20K, yet Ford state 16K or 13K.

And neither factor in if the car is used for regular tootling round town. Over time the turbo oil feed pipe gets gummed up and the car will just destroy turbos.

The same diesel engine is used in so many cars now that to give specifics for one make and different for another is confusing.

I always ring Millers oil up when I change cars and they will give you the exact oil needed in your car although it is not cheap stuff to buy.

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 14:34 ----------

That doesn't apply to all cars though. Take the horrible 1.6 110bhp diesel engine fitted to Peugeots, Fords and a few other marques (DW10TED?). Peugeot recommend service intervals of 20K, yet Ford state 16K or 13K.

And neither factor in if the car is used for regular tootling round town. Over time the turbo oil feed pipe gets gummed up and the car will just destroy turbos.

Change your oil every six months and use an engine flush.

Quite a lot of oils are re badged and sold at different price.

Your halfords cheap brand and most expensive one might be same oil.

As long as viscosity matches any is OK.

They are made to one standard in a refinery and poured into different packagings for people to overpay for some.

I have seen it with my own eyes and never bought expensive brand since.

Keep checking level and change filters when you need to.

Your car will be more likely scrapped because of failed MOT on small annoying things rather then lubrication caused engine failure.

The same diesel engine is used in so many cars now that to give specifics for one make and different for another is confusing.

I always ring Millers oil up when I change cars and they will give you the exact oil needed in your car although it is not cheap stuff to buy.

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 14:34 ----------

Change your oil every six months and use an engine flush.

You are far better off changing it when it needs changing and you dont need an engine flush then

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 22:52 ----------

Quite a lot of oils are re badged and sold at different price.

Your halfords cheap brand and most expensive one might be same oil.

As long as viscosity matches any is OK.

They are made to one standard in a refinery and poured into different packagings for people to overpay for some.

I have seen it with my own eyes and never bought expensive brand since.

Keep checking level and change filters when you need to.

Your car will be more likely scrapped because of failed MOT on small annoying things rather then lubrication caused engine failure.

No, no, no, for the reasons noted above. There is so much more to an oil than just the viscosity.

If you are given a specification for the oil like a VW or BMW spec you must follow it or you will have problems - they dont make them up for no reason you know.

Follow all the specs, and change it when needed, and then you will probably have a car that rusts to death, rather than dying mechanically.