Gordon Brown and the EU

I was in Scotland for several weeks during that campaign and I heard the Scottish perspective all over. Brown is held in high regard by the Scots and he got a lot of plaudits from the Scots for his campaign.

That doesn't mean he changed the wider populations (almost 200,000 people)* opinion.

* The difference needed for the Yes camping to have won.

Edited by Berberis

That doesn't mean he changed the wider populations (almost 200,000 people)* opinion.

* The difference needed for the Yes camping to have won.

But it does mean he is an excellent campaigner ;) and as I understand it he will be limited to North of the Border?

But it does mean he is an excellent campaigner ;) and as I understand it he will be limited to North of the Border?

I don't think he is personally. He sunk Labour at the 2010 general election. The "Bigot" comments showed him to be out of touch and not very interested in peoples concerns. Elitist comes to mind.

I don't think he is personally. He sunk Labour at the 2010 general election. The "Bigot" comments showed him to be out of touch and not very interested in peoples concerns. Elitist comes to mind.

Labour sunk itself in that election, helped by an unscrupulous equipment man who sold that comment on. People had had more than enough of Labour after Blair, Blair, Blair/Brown, add a huge financial crisis and you get a recipe for disaster.

Still, my point remains, he is not regarded nearly as poorly north of the border as he is here.

It's a bit of a stretch to credit him with that.

The British public would never have stood for the Euro over here anyway, it was always a non-started regardless of what politicians thought.

During his time as chancellor, he did well to prevent Peter Mandelson taking Tony Blair into adopting the Euro.

I was in Scotland for several weeks during that campaign and I heard the Scottish perspective all over. Brown is held in high regard by the Scots and he got a lot of plaudits from the Scots for his campaign.

Agreed he made a good speech during the Scottish referendum campaign.

Agreed he made a good speech during the Scottish referendum campaign.

Although ironically Labours general performance in the referendum campaign is one of the reasons they totally lost their arse in the last general election.

Still, my point remains, he is not regarded nearly as poorly north of the border as he is here.

He would be, he is Scottish. Scotts were pretty happy while there was a Scott in charge of the country and the economy (Brown and Campbell).

I will give the man his due he can orate. He also has my respect in that as a past labour leader he has not gone on to a cushy job with the eu ( kinnocks) or UN ( Blair ). I doubt he will change the mind of those decided, I openly admit to being rabidly anti eu so I will never change my mind, but he may persuade some of the undecided one way or another. Is that a good or bad thing, only time will tell and we will probably never know either way.