Racism in 2016 Britain

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/05/07/whites-need-not-apply-bbc-advertises-black-asian-minority-positions/

I really thought we were moving away from the times when we judged people on the colour of their skin? Apparently we are not though as the link above shows.

What is your view?

Racist?

Not racist?

As it selects people on the colour of their skin I suppose it is racist...Imagine it the other way around,there'd be hell to pay..

Are you ok with that?

What if your recruitment process is inadvertently racist because, despite your efforts to prevent it, your managers have a tendency to pick people 'like themselves' because they think they'll fit in better[1]. How would you propose dealing with such bias when recruiting?

[1] People have a natural, unconscious, tendency to do this.

Whats positive discrimination??

About 16 years ago I went for a job that was 'GOQ' (Genuine Occupational Qualification) - The organisation wanted a male worker, as there were 3 females on the team.

From what I recall my manager saying when I started working there was that it can be quite difficult requesting a job to be specified to male / female only.

The reason that they wanted a male worker is that some of the people who used the service may specify that they wanted a male worker, and there may have been an element of personal care to the role.

That would be an example of positive discrimination, I think....

Edited by Mister M

The linked article is slightly misleading. All BBC recruitment has now been brought in-house (previously Capita). The BBC do not specify ethnicity for their vacancies. Creative Access, the agency mentioned in the link, have set their own criteria for applicants. All BBC vacancies can be applied for directly to the BBC recruitment departments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/

Guest makapaka
The linked article is slightly misleading. All BBC recruitment has now been brought in-house (previously Capita). The BBC do not specify ethnicity for their vacancies. Creative Access, the agency mentioned in the link, have set their own criteria for applicants. All BBC vacancies can be applied for directly to the BBC recruitment departments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/

I think I read about this the other day. I believe it's an agency that assists ethnic minorities in getting to work. Theres no restriction on applying for the specific role - but there is in applying through the agency.

I suppose it would be like having an agency that assisted disabled people in getting into work, you wouldn't be able to apply through them if you weren't disabled but you're not being discriminated by them. Doubt that would reach the front page of the mail tho