Racism in 2016 Britain

It's utterly outrageous, but legal apparently. Of course it's totally wrong for a national institution, publicly funded to do this, but there's nothing you can do. Racist?? I've no idea what racist means nowadays. Locking jews up in a concentration camp and murdering them systematically - that's racist. Disagreeeing with the prosthlytisation of islam, aparently that's racist against moslems too.

Oh Well. Meh.

It would be different with a private company. It should be able to employ whoever they wish, and whoever they think would do the job best. White, black, yellow, male, female, gay, straight, trans, heels or no heels.

I think there is a specific problem with internships in general - many of them are unpaid (or used to be a few years ago). I realise that that doesn't apply in this case, as I think I read that they get a generous bursary. However, I think that many internships, if not paid, might restrict access to those whose parents are wealthy enough to support them.

Positive discrimination is legal in the UK.

No it isn't. Positive discrimination is illegal in the UK.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 20:59 ----------

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/05/07/whites-need-not-apply-bbc-advertises-black-asian-minority-positions/

I really thought we were moving away from the times when we judged people on the colour of their skin? Apparently we are not though as the link above shows.

What is your view?

Racist?

Not racist?

Except creative access is a charity try to support internships for ethnic minorities trying to gain access into creative industries, which they find very hard to enter and are underrepresented in. The internships are funded by the charity.

Its a handful of vacancies amongst many hundreds for young people.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 21:05 ----------

Whats positive discrimination??

Use of quotas and picking someone purely on the basis of skin colour. Its illegal in the UK.

Employers are able to follow a procedure called positive action under s158 and s159 of the Equality Act 2010.

It's utterly outrageous, but legal apparently. Of course it's totally wrong for a national institution, publicly funded to do this, but there's nothing you can do. Racist?? I've no idea what racist means nowadays. Locking jews up in a concentration camp and murdering them systematically - that's racist. Disagreeeing with the prosthlytisation of islam, aparently that's racist against moslems too.

Oh Well. Meh.

It would be different with a private company. It should be able to employ whoever they wish, and whoever they think would do the job best. White, black, yellow, male, female, gay, straight, trans, heels or no heels.

I remember some years ago around 2008 i had returned from living in Northern Ireland, and decided to pop in the job centre in Sheff town. I noticed a leaflet with a black chap smiling at the side of a photo of a lorry. The message read 'free HGV lessons' i thought this looks interesting, so decided to read on through until i got to the bit which stated 'only open to ethnic minorities,' or words to similar effect. I queried it, and the chap gave a sigh as if to say 'ridiculous innit.'

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/05/07/whites-need-not-apply-bbc-advertises-black-asian-minority-positions/

I really thought we were moving away from the times when we judged people on the colour of their skin? Apparently we are not though as the link above shows.

What is your view?

Racist?

Not racist?

All forms of discrimination based on race is by definition racism, but in this case it favours ethnic minorities so its legal racism.

No it isn't. Positive discrimination is illegal in the UK.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 20:59 ----------

Except creative access is a charity try to support internships for ethnic minorities trying to gain access into creative industries, which they find very hard to enter and are underrepresented in. The internships are funded by the charity.

Its a handful of vacancies amongst many hundreds for young people.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 21:05 ----------

Use of quotas and picking someone purely on the basis of skin colour. Its illegal in the UK.

Employers are able to follow a procedure called positive action under s158 and s159 of the Equality Act 2010.

Don't have a link, but i remember some years ago a police force in England were made to apologise because they were binning all job applications from white Brits.

Don't have a link, but i remember some years ago a police force in England were made to apologise because they were binning all job applications from white Brits.

Employers often get in trouble for not sticking to legal policies.

I dilsike how this story is being distorted and misrepresented b by people who prefer to be hysterical rather than looking properly into it.

here y go.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/5369876.stm

Gloucestershire police force has admitted illegally rejecting 108 job applicants because they were white men.

Nice one.

It's always bloody government targets.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 21:19 ----------

Employers often get in trouble for not sticking to legal policies.

I dilsike how this story is being distorted and misrepresented b by people who prefer to be hysterical rather than looking properly into it.

I must have missed something then.:confused:

About 16 years ago I went for a job that was 'GOQ' (Genuine Occupational Qualification) - The organisation wanted a male worker, as there were 3 females on the team.

From what I recall my manager saying when I started working there was that it can be quite difficult requesting a job to be specified to male / female only.

The reason that they wanted a male worker is that some of the people who used the service may specify that they wanted a male worker, and there may have been an element of personal care to the role.

That would be an example of positive discrimination, I think....

he knows what it is hes just playing dumb